Cannot SSH to a GCE VM from Windows 10 bashUbuntu binaries

David B. Cross

Jul 3, 2016, 11:50:07 PM7/3/16
to gce-discussion
I am struggling to understand why I cannot SSH using GCLOUD, but I can SSH if I work from the developer console.

ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22: Resource temporarily unavailable
ERROR: (gcloud.compute.ssh) [/usr/bin/ssh] exited with return code [255]. See https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/troubleshooting#ssherrors for troubleshooting hints.

I have tried to make sure all components are updated, reset the config, deleting SSH keys from the console and have them updated from Gcloud...

Stuck!

David

George (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 4, 2016, 12:48:37 PM7/4/16
to gce-discussion
Hello David,

Is you local firewall allowing ssh traffic on port 22 ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
George

David B. Cross

Jul 4, 2016, 2:26:34 PM7/4/16
to gce-discussion
On the Windows side, yes, I checked the local firewall settings and Ssh Server is open.

is that the most common cause for home machines connecting to Google cloud using Windows 10?

David

David B. Cross

Jul 5, 2016, 12:38:45 PM7/5/16
to gce-discussion
Also, if I try PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) I get: Network error: Connection timed out.

Trying to figure this one out...

David

George (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 5, 2016, 2:48:24 PM7/5/16
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hello David,

This is a common issue as sometimes the home-router or Gateway, doesn't have the ssh port 22 open which can cause the issue you are encountering. Did you have the chance to check your gateway for any firewall rules? You can issue a tcpdump and traceroute test from the local machine to check where the connection is dropping.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
George

David Cross

Jul 6, 2016, 4:20:07 PM7/6/16
to gce-discussion
I found the problem!

Unfortunately, the error message was misleading...but I suspected that maybe there was a firewall rule and bingo!  It was blocking any connections on port 22 from the predefined IP range.

thanks for the help George!

David