Alerting on IAM changes in GCP

Hari Chaudhary

Apr 5, 2021, 4:53:41 AM4/5/21
to gce-discussion
All,

Is there a way to set  an alerting  for any changes on below  GCP resource Types. Please suggest how we can achieve this.
  • Configuration change alert

  • IAM role change alerts

  • VPC network changes

  • Cloud Storage IAM permission changes

  • SQL instance configuration changes

  • VPC network route changes

  • VPC network firewall rule changes

  • Custom Role changes

  • Audit configuration changes

We tried creating custom log-based metrics but for this resource type the alerting is not supported in the stackdriver.

Regards,
Hari

Disclaimer: This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Any misuse of this email is unlawful. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. L&T Financial Services, has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize risks of virus transmitting through email, however L&T Financial Services disclaims all responsibility and liability (including errors, loss and negligence) as a result of any virus in this e-mail. We recommend you to carry out your own virus checks and take any required precautions before opening the e-mail or attachment. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the L&T Financial Services e-mail system and L&T Financial Services reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address.

Ruben (Google Cloud Support)

Apr 7, 2021, 4:33:08 AM4/7/21
to gce-discussion

Hello Hari,

The path to move forward is indeed the use of log based metrics, you only need to find exactly the filter for what you are trying to achieve.

For example I have set up a metric with the filter [1] to detect when a change is made to the roles of an user in a project.

Please have a look at our documentation regarding creating charts and alerts [2] and creating counter metrics [3].

Have a nice day!

[1] protoPayload.serviceData.policyDelta.bindingDeltas.action=ADD

[2] - https://cloud.google.com/logging/docs/logs-based-metrics/charts-and-alerts

[3] - https://cloud.google.com/logging/docs/logs-based-metrics/counter-metrics#creating_a_counter_metric