GCE docker container warning: no swap limit support

xinjie guan

Dec 6, 2014, 1:07:42 PM12/6/14
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I tried to run a docker with memory limitation through this command
sudo docker -m 64m -ti ubuntu /bin/bash

but got the following warning:
WARNING: Your kernel does not support swap limit capabilities. Limitation discarded.

I have enabled swap in kernel as shown in this link:
https://docs.docker.com/installation/ubuntulinux/#memory-and-swap-accounting

The following is the updated grub file:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:

# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1"
# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"
# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
GRUB_TERMINAL=console
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux

#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start

#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

#Disable recordfail timeout

GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=0

Later, I run 'sudo update-grub' and 'sudo reboot'. However, the warning is still there.

The following is the information returned by running 'sudo docker info'

Containers: 6
Images: 5
Storage Driver: aufs
Root Dir: /var/lib/docker/aufs
Dirs: 17
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Kernel Version: 3.13.0-40-generic
Operating System: Ubuntu precise (12.04.5 LTS)
WARNING: No swap limit support

Is there anyone who has the same problem? Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Xinjie

Joe Beda

Dec 8, 2014, 1:38:42 PM12/8/14
to xinjie guan, google-c...@googlegroups.com, gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xinjie,

I'm including google-c...@googlegroups.com. That is our email list for GCP+container stuff.  There is more expertise over there.

Joe

--
© 2014 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/9e3191d5-7d51-4baf-a60a-510d50b99ed4%40googlegroups.com.