Can't create new node pool

Benoit LAURENT

Jul 12, 2021, 12:40:39 PM7/12/21
to gce-discussion
Hello,

I'm trying to change the machine type by creating a new node pool in my GKE Cluster. This always worked as expected, but, for some reason, now I can't create new pools in my cluster because of the following error:
Node pool network_config on a node pool for a route-based cluster should only have enable_private_nodes set.
Sometimes (one in ten more or less), I get this error instead: Cannot set max pods constraint on node pool for route-based clusters.

The field "private cluster" is desactivated in my cluster and immuable.

Do you have any idea ?

Regards,
Benoit

Md Sadik Masoud

Jul 12, 2021, 3:48:17 PM7/12/21
to gce-discussion
Hi,

Thank you for starting this conversation. By any chance did you follow this document [1] to create the cluster and also can you make sure that you are violating any of mentioned limitation [2]?

Tobias Kaymak

Jul 19, 2021, 9:18:58 AM7/19/21
to gce-discussion
Hello

I've checked that I'm not violating the limitations mentioned in 2 as my cluster was auto-generated by Google Cloud Composer and I am facing exactly the same issue.
(This worked before for me, so now I can't add a node pool to my cluster)

Best,
Tobias

Mat Chen

Jul 20, 2021, 9:50:34 AM7/20/21
to gce-discussion
Yesterday, I had same issue of author. I tried many times. Finally, using the command line (gcloud) to create node and it was working.

Mat Chen

Tobias Kaymak

Jul 20, 2021, 10:19:32 AM7/20/21
to gce-discussion

Thank you,
I used the UI to get the gcloud command, then I removed the "--max-pods-per-node" and "--node-version" parameters and that seems to have worked.
The UI seems to be still broken though.

Best,
Tobias

Fady (Google Cloud Platform)

Jul 20, 2021, 10:57:17 AM7/20/21
to gce-discussion
Yes confirming that this seems to be a defect in the UI. It is specific to route-based clusters and not VPC-Native. For some reason the UI includes the max pod constraint configuration when creating the Node Pool which is only configurable with VPC-Native clusters. The UI does not seem to have a mechanism to differentiate the type of cluster. This is also reported on issuetracker. I recommend following up there for updates. Meanwhile and if you are using a route-based cluster using the gcloud command without the "--max-pods-per-node" flag should work as reported by Tobias.