VM Instances exist after being deleted and keep running after being stopped

Dean Schulze

Oct 13, 2021, 10:49:30 AMOct 13
to gce-discussion
I have 6 VM instances in a project (probably from a terraform script that didn't clean up after itself properly).

2 days ago I deleted all of them, but they are still there.  Today I stopped all 6 of them and got a message that the instances were stopped.  But they still show up as running.

What do I have to do to delete these VM instances?  I'd rather not delete the project.

Thanks.

Ahmad P - Cloud Platform Support

Oct 14, 2021, 11:25:25 AMOct 14
to gce-discussion
You can delete the instances via console, gcloud or API by following this link.

If the instances are part of an instance group, the group might try to recreate an identical instance to maintain a certain group size.
Then you can resize the instance group or reconfigure the autoscaler instead of deleting the instances.

Also are the instances shown in the Console and in the output for "gcloud compute instances list"?