VM unable to communicate between themselves

Carthic Kameshwaran

Oct 11, 2021, 11:31:07 AM10/11/21
to gce-discussion
Hi,

My team has created 2 test VMs to use as a playground before performing actual installation. One machine runs a MySQL  on windows (Before anyone points out Cloud SQL, heads up: we needed this specific test setup) and other runs a linux.

Issue: Both VMs are able to talk to each other on standard ports (3389, 22) but not to 3306 (Tried both internal and external IP). External is static IP.

Firewall rules: Created ingress and egress rules for 0.0.0.0/0 : 3306 (It is unsafe but we wanted to try); Modified existing rules also to allow for 3306

Is there anything they are missing?

Regards
CK

Jedihomer Townend

Oct 11, 2021, 11:55:42 AM10/11/21
to gce-discussion
Hi,

The way we do this is by adding network tags, so in your case we'd add a tag called 'sql' to the MySQL server and add a tag called 'app' on the second VM.

Then you can create an ingress firewall rule with a source tag of 'app' and a target tag of 'sql' for port 3306.

Hope this helps

Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 12, 2021, 2:33:15 PM10/12/21
to gce-discussion

Hi CK,

If you were using a Cloud SQL instance, you could have used a debugging article that covers most of the connection issues related to Cloud SQL instances.

Since your configuration is MySQL(in Windows) + Linux VM, I would also recommend you to refer to Google Cloud Platform's help center article about 'connectivity tests' which helps you to check(diagnose) some basic issues related to network services, inconsistent configuration, etc. To create and run connectivity tests, you could use this help center article.

As this is a forum meant for general discussion of the Google Cloud platform and or its connected resources, I would strongly recommend you to either discuss this concern with the help of your system administrator or should take a question like this to StackOverflow for additional assistance(in-depth technical assistance). While opening a question in stackoverflow.com, make sure to include all relevant details that would help somebody to debug it. An example of one such discussion thread can be found here