How to transfer one cloud storage bucket to another blucket in another project from the web console?

Tapir

Oct 3, 2017, 5:36:49 AM10/3/17
to gce-discussion
It looks I can only the buckets in the same project as the source bucket in the transfer web console.
How can I select a bucket in another project as the source bucket?
Or how can I select a bucket in another project as the destination bucket?

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Oct 3, 2017, 3:41:51 PM10/3/17
to gce-discussion
Hello Tapir,

I believe you are transferring the data from one bucket to another using Cloud Storage transfer service. If that is the case, first you need to make sure you are owner of the project with source bucket. For the destination bucket you need to have at least Storage Admin or Storage Legacy Bucket Owner IAM role in the destination project.

Once you have the right permissions, create the transfer job from Cloud console select the source bucket from the list. For destination bucket instead of going through the list simply copy paste the name under 'Cloud Storage bucket' field. If the name is correct you will see a green check mark and you will be able to finish the transfer.

I hope that helps.

Faizan

Tapir

Oct 4, 2017, 2:33:16 AM10/4/17
to gce-discussion

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:41:51 PM UTC-4, Faizan (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
Hello Tapir,

I believe you are transferring the data from one bucket to another using Cloud Storage transfer service. If that is the case, first you need to make sure you are owner of the project with source bucket. For the destination bucket you need to have at least Storage Admin or Storage Legacy Bucket Owner IAM role in the destination project.

I have not problem to select any bucket in the current project as the destination buckets.
I just can't select any bucket for other projects as the source bucket.

I have added both of me (my email as user) and the destination project owner (dest-pr...@appspot.gserviceaccount.com)
as the owner of the source project in the IAM page.
I also both of me (my email as user) and the destination project owner as the owner of the source bucket.
But, it still doesn't work. I still can't select buckets in the source project as source buckets.

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Oct 4, 2017, 8:17:01 PM10/4/17
to gce-discussion
Hello Tapir,

I was able to add the source bucket name(which is in different project) manually and transfer the files to a destination bucket(in my project). You need project owner permission for the project which has your source bucket.

What is the error that you get when you add the source bucket name manually which is in different project(provide me with the screenshot if possible)?

Faizan

I have added both of me (my email as user) and the destination project owner (dest-project-id@appspot.gserviceaccount.com)

as the owner of the source project in the IAM page.
I also both of me (my email as user) and the destination project owner as the owner of the source bucket.
But, it still doesn't work. I still can't select buckets in the source project as source buckets.

Tapir

Oct 5, 2017, 4:03:47 AM10/5/17
to gce-discussion

Above is the screenshot for the IAM page of the source project.
There are several buckets in this project.
I can't select any of them as the source bucket in the transfer page of the destination project.

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 8:17:01 PM UTC-4, Faizan (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
[...]

Oct 5, 2017, 12:00:52 PM10/5/17
to gce-discussion
I can see your email account does have the owner permission for source project which is great. Can you add the bucket name manually on the transfer page under source bucket instead of selecting from the list? This has worked for me without any problem. If its not working and you get an error can you post the screenshot.

Faizan

Tapir

Oct 5, 2017, 3:43:49 PM10/5/17
to gce-discussion
En, the manual manner does work.
Why did I never notice that I can input texts in the the input box before?!

Thanks for your help.