GCP Tools in Ubuntu Images outdated

Christian Becker

Jul 28, 2016, 10:35:44 AM7/28/16
to gce-discussion
We ran into an issue with startup scripts which should work in a newer version of the GCP Tools, as stated here: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/startupscript#rerunthescript

However we've noticed, that all prebuild Ubuntu LTS Images are lacking the newer version and are still using the bash version instead of the new python version.

A crosscheck with CentOS 7 showed, that this image was properly updated.

Are there any news on why the Ubuntu images were not updated or can this please be fixed?

Kamran (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 28, 2016, 10:33:30 PM7/28/16
to gce-discussion

Hello Christian,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I opened a GCE public issue tracker for this and will forward your report to our engineering team. Any questions they have will be posted there. Further status updates will be posted there as well.

In the meantime, if you wish to install the latest version of Compute Image Packages on your VM, visit these links [1] [2] [3]. I'd recommend testing the latest Google Image packages on a test virtual machine before installing on your production VM.

Sincerely,

Paul Nash

Aug 1, 2016, 3:30:09 PM8/1/16
to Kamran (Google Cloud Support), gce-discussion
Hi Christian, additionally, note that the Ubuntu images are officially published by Canonical. We work with them closely and will raise this issue with them, but we can't say for sure when it might be addressed.

Thx,
-P

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/59fb900d-cc55-4d83-b48e-285fd15ccaad%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620