Http request problem

Musobek Shodmonov

Jul 6, 2021, 11:08:46 AM7/6/21
to gce-discussion
Hi
I have recently started working with google cloud. but before this  I used Aws and Azure. With google cloud in my ubuntu os I have installed Spring jar file for back end. However the api url is not reachable from outside. in the virtual machine config I allowed all http and https additionally I created firewall rule top accept all kind of traffic and port. But the Ubuntu is still not accepting any http request. I would be really happy if someone help with it as I don't know whether it is bug or feature.

Fady (Google Cloud Platform)

Jul 7, 2021, 2:58:27 PM7/7/21
to gce-discussion

Compute Engine public images including Ubuntu OS should not be that different from standard open source images. There are some minor differences that would make it optimized to run on Compute Engine instances. These differences for Ubuntu are documented here

About firewall rules, I assume you meant the OS level firewall which is usually by default permissive to connections. If that is the case, in addition to the OS firewall, we have our own VPC firewall that sits in front of the VMs (imaginatively speaking) that needs to be configured to allow INGRESS (incoming traffic from the perspective of the VM). For example, if you need to allow traffic to a web server (http), then you would have to configure ingress through port 80 for this VM. You can limit traffic to the VM only (not other VMs) by using labels. You may also limit source connections from the internet originating from certain IP addresses. This topic is explained in more detail in this document. Also this document has great examples on how to create a firewall rule.  I hope this helps.

Ralf Krause

Aug 10, 2021, 11:00:17 AM8/10/21
to gce-discussion
Is the service ufw started and if yes is ufw enabled?
check with:
  sudo ufw status

If the status is 'active' check the ufw rules which are also shown if ufw is active.
If the status is 'inactive' then no port is blocked, no matter if the ufw service is started or not.