Gcloud network issues

Spinning Planet

Jul 13, 2021, 7:42:47 PM7/13/21
to gce-discussion
Is anyone else experiencing issues connecting with thier VM on Gcloud? Mine is based in zone asia-east1-b with the IP address 130.211.252.134. When I try a traceroute to it there are a bunch or routers at Google that don't respond. It's been like this for 24 hours. Try it yourself here: https://tools.keycdn.com/traceroute

Tariq (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 2, 2021, 4:57:51 PM9/2/21
to gce-discussion
In the traceroute result, if you see a percentage of loss at any particular hop, it may happen that some ISPs are rate limiting the ICMP traffic that traceroute uses. This can give the illusion of packet loss when there is in fact no loss. To determine if the loss is real or due to rate limiting, you have to look at subsequent hops. If those hops show a loss of 0.0%, then you are likely seeing ICMP rate limiting and not actual loss. ICMP rate limiting is a common practice used to avoid overloading router CPU by ICMP requests. For your use case, we can see that at the last hop there is no packet loss.

It is worth mentioning that Google Groups is a place for non-technical how-to questions (where you're likely to find information like service status updates and release notes, and ranging from book recommendations to creative shortcuts) [1].

Therefore moving forward, I would recommend you to consider reaching out to Stack Exchange sites [2] (e.g. Server Fault [3] or Stack Overflow [4]) where Google also participates that can help you find answers and troubleshoot problems.

If you find any indication of a GCP specific issue, you may consider reporting [5] the issue with Issue Tracker with all the details [6] (omitting PII/sensitive information). You may also file a case with the GCP Support [7] and we will be more than happy to help.

[2] Ask Technical Questions on Stack Exchange Sites: https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/stackexchange
[3] Server Fault (A question and answer site for deploying and managing IT platforms): https://serverfault.com/questions/tagged/google-cloud-platform
[4] Stack Overflow (A question and answer site for programmers): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/google-cloud-platform
[6] Report Issues with Issue Trackers: https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/issue-trackers