Compute engine shuts down automatically after turning it on due to compute.instances.guestTerminate.

Tejus Gk

Jul 19, 2021, 9:18:58 AM7/19/21
to gce-discussion
I tried to turn on my VM but it gets immediately shut down after starting , I checked the logs and apparently compute.instances.guestTerminate is being called after the VM is started . I have absolutely no clue why this is happening.

Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 20, 2021, 3:22:34 PM7/20/21
to gce-discussion
As explained in the 'Troubleshooting VM shutdowns and reboots', a VM shutdowns and reboots can be caused by system events or admin activities. In your scenario, since it is logged as 'compute.instances.guestTerminate', it is highly possible that your VM's operating system is real culprit here who initiated the shutdown. This could be due a command such as 'shutdown -h' inside the VM by a user or script.

To get start with how to find out from the logs what caused system shutdown, you may need to refer the discussion thread provided in the unix.stackexchange.com. In the thread, they have provided with various scenarios and log entries that you need to check for such unwanted system events like 'shutdown'.

I hope this helps.