Unable to suspend E2 instances

mcorries

Mar 29, 2021, 8:13:41 PM3/29/21
to gce-discussion
Greetings

New ( 2 weeks ) to GCloud and the whole GCE environment but learning fast!

My question is :
Is there a way to be able to suspend E2 instances? When trying to do so via Cloud Console I get error
Seems I chose a bad machine type for my test 3 node cluster environment and was unaware of this restriction when setting them all up which I have now finally managed to do.

I have since done some googling and found out that this is in fact possible with the gcloud beta command even for E2 instances but beta is not available for free trial users.
I do hope this is somehow possible or that defeats the entire purpose of trying to minimise costs and keep vm's offline when not needed( at least overnight when one is asleep).

Thanks in advance

mcorries

Apr 5, 2021, 12:09:00 PM4/5/21
to gce-discussion
No one ever found a successful workaround to this?
I'm surprised l ..

Pedro Moreno

Apr 7, 2021, 10:40:59 AM4/7/21
to gce-discussion
I believe that you are mixing concepts. You want to suspend E2 instances, but you have created a GKE cluster of 3 nodes. You should go inside each node from cluster and cordon it (leaving in suspended state). Please check GKE: Migrating the workloads documentation.
Message has been deleted

Md Sadik Masoud

May 17, 2021, 11:55:39 AM5/17/21
to gce-discussion
Hello all,

I tried to suspend one E2 instance in the test project and I was able to replicate the same problem. Upon further investigation, it turns out that this is an intended behavior and also the feature is in beta [1]. At the moment, we do not support E2 instance suspension, but it is highly prioritized. We cannot provide a date for when this becomes available.This isn't exclusive to the gcloud tool. The cloud console/API do not currently support the suspension of E2 machines either.At the moment, the suggestion would be to either stop the relevant VMs (and start them later), migrate to another machine type or keep them up constantly. Hope it clarifies the concern!

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:32:09 AM UTC-4 Sathya Dayanithi wrote:
Hi
I am New to GCP and I created a VM Instance and  i got something like this. Am not sure what to do.
I cannot choose it to edit or delete it.

M Corry

May 17, 2021, 12:06:03 PM5/17/21
to gce-discussion, Md Sadik Masoud
Thanks for the clarification Sadik,  unfortunately for fairly obvious reasons none of those suggestions are acceptable I suggest for many users.

In my case, Kubernetes clusters should not be stopped due to interoperability between running services and containers, machine type where chosen for best price performance  and and keeping them up constantly is cost inhibitive.

I trust Google provides a solution asap and also ensuring to adequately notify when such machine types are used to provision VMs.
I do not recall reading such when setting up my machines.

Rgds

May 18, 2021, 9:31:07 AM5/18/21
to gce-discussion
Hi,

Would it possible for you to use small and cheap N1 or N2 instances and using Cluster Autoscaler to create new machines only when it is needed?
I think this is the best in term of price/performance as the small machines automatically start and stop based on how much traffic your application is receiving, ensuring both availability at all times and also the best price.

Let me know if this is a viable solution.