[sudo] password not working sudo passwd no go

Scott Beeker

Jun 30, 2021, 3:10:01 PM6/30/21
to gce-discussion
Looking to reset or find my sudo password using Ubuntu 18.04 image.
Getting a retry error even with correct account and sudo passwd attempt.

Cameron Thomas Otway

Jul 16, 2021, 1:51:18 PM7/16/21
to gce-discussion
Serial console would be your best bet to gain access to the instance. Use the serial console to manually connect to the VM. If You’ve already configured serial console access you'd need to access the VM. In order to gain access, you'll need to create a root login, which probably why you ran into the *root locked situation.

 #! /bin/bash useradd -G sudo USERNAME echo 'USERNAME:PASSWORD' | chpasswd

 ## USERNAME is username
 ## PASSWORD is password Click the ‘Connect to serial console’ and Login using the USERNAME and PASSWORD you provided. If I missed something here, please provide me with more details.