Weird Problem on SSL Redirect

Serdar Yildirim

Jul 12, 2021, 12:40:46 PM7/12/21
to gce-discussion
Hi folks,

We have been using SSL redirect feature since the beginning of the last year when it's first introduced. Dozens of LBs working fine since then. But today when we try to create a new http LB for redirection it threw an error and rejected to setup LB. It was saying:

Invalid value for field 'resource.defaultUrlRedirect.hostRedirect': ''. Must have between 1 and 255 character(s)

As I understand, it asks to fill host and prefix/path fields which we normally keep empty and select SSL redirect checkbox and done. So I added * and / for each value and it created the http LB without any error. But now redirections only work if we ad a / at the end of any url pointed to that Load Balancer. If we don't add a / then the below error page appears instead of the application.

https://i.imgur.com/M8GKPC8.png

By the way if you go directly using https it works fine. All other Load Balancers we have setup previously are running perfectly fine. I really dont understand the change and the logic here. It was a very simple setup. Is this because of something changed or a temporary problem? If this is a change, what is the new documentation to correctly set up ssl redirect?

Serdar Yildirim

Jul 12, 2021, 4:50:02 PM7/12/21
to gce-discussion
Hi again,

I tried to re-create URL map from the cloud shell instead of UI without host and prefix fields and it works fine now. I guess there is a temporary issue on GUI.

Md (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 15, 2021, 5:20:45 PM7/15/21
to gce-discussion

Hello, good to know the issue is  resolved using cloud shell. I was looking to find if there is any major changes in the procedure setting up HTTPS redirect but could not find any. This could be a temporary issue with the cloud console since the gcloud was successful, if you want you may try the UI again for testing purposes, to see if the issue  persists.