Change instance group description

Georgi Sotirov

Oct 12, 2021, 2:49:20 AMOct 12
to gce-discussion
I noticed this sometimes ago, but it surfaced again recently, so I decided to ask this time.

Why is it not possible to change instance group's description?

In web console if I select an instance group and click on Edit I see its description, but I am unable to change it.

If I try the same with Terraform it decides to replace the resource:

  # google_compute_instance_group_manager.test_ig must be replaced
-/+ resource "google_compute_instance_group_manager" "test_ig" {
      ~ description        = "Test 1" -> "Test 2" # forces replacement

presumably because the API does not allow such change, which of course results in an error, because the instance group is already used by a backend.

Error: Error waiting for Deleting InstanceGroupManager: The instance_group_manager resource 'projects/my-project/zones/europe-somewhere/instanceGroupManagers/test_ig' is already being used by 'projects/my-project/global/backendServices/test_backend'

I do not find the rationale behind such a restriction, because the description should be just some explanatory text from which resource's configuration should be affected. I found no explanation of this in the documentation or over the Internet.

P.S. The reason for description's change - an annoying spelling error.

Pedro Moreno

Oct 12, 2021, 8:28:27 AMOct 12
to gce-discussion
Hello,

Thanks for reporting this issue,

I suggest you file a bug on the public issue tracker with the Component:

``` Public Trackers > Cloud Platform > Compute > Compute Engine ```
About this behaviour of not being able to modify Instance Group description once it has been created.

Take into account that it won't be an ETA for the resolution of this issue.

Georgi Sotirov

Oct 14, 2021, 2:58:13 AMOct 14
to gce-discussion
OK. For reference, I opened issue 202981395. And I just added some additional information that description change is possible through the REST API, but not through Cloud Console's web interface.

P.S. Errata: In my initial post the text "from which resource's configuration should be affected" is to be read "from which resource's configuration should not be affected".