issues with text credits to migrate

Brian Stewart

Jul 5, 2022, 3:06:32 PM7/5/22
to gcd-tech
I've noticed that the series link for  Issues with Text Credits to Migrate has false positives especially if the language is non-English.

For example:

Shows #1 with items that need migrating

-

The letter credit entries that are listed as Mecanografiado, which is equivalent to the English typeset keep showing up as needing to be migrated.

-

Is this something that should be fixed, or just ignore and chug on?

---BRIAN

Brian Stewart

Sep 26, 2022, 8:37:30 AM9/26/22
to gcd-tech
GCD Team,

Can the red migrate button be fixed for Spanish /Español language books to NOT mark them as needing a migration if the creator credits letter field uses one of the following?
  1. mecanografiado (typescript/typewritten),
  2. composición tipografica (typographic composition/typesetting)
  3. tipografico (typographic) (in Spain)
The system already acknowledges typeset, can this be extended for the Spanish equivalents so that we don't waste cycles trying to migrate something flagged on the screen that does not actually need a fix by human hands?

I am assuming this would be a technical fix something like:   If indexed series language = Spanish, and letters contain #1, 2, 3 then do not flag as migratable.

---BRIAN

Jochen G.

Sep 29, 2022, 11:09:08 PM9/29/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
The idea is more to have typeset always as text entry, but translate it
on display depending on the language of series. That way it is
consistent per language on the user side, and we have consistent data
storage.

Jochen

Am 26.09.22 um 14:37 schrieb Brian Stewart:
> GCD Team,
>
> Can the red migrate button be fixed for Spanish /Español language books
> to *NOT *mark them as needing a migration if the creator credits letter
> field uses one of the following?
>
> 1. mecanografiado (typescript/typewritten),
> 2. composición tipografica (typographic composition/typesetting)
> 3. tipografico (typographic) (in Spain)
>
> The system already acknowledges typeset, can this be extended for the
> Spanish equivalents so that we don't waste cycles trying to migrate
> something flagged on the screen that does not actually need a fix by
> human hands?
>
> I am assuming this would be a technical fix something like:   If indexed
> series language = Spanish, and letters contain #1, 2, 3 then do not flag
> as migratable.
>
> ---BRIAN
> On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 2:06:32 PM UTC-5 Brian Stewart wrote:
>
> I've noticed that the series link for Issues with Text Credits to
> Migrate has false positives especially if the language is non-English.
>
> For example:
>
> https://www.comics.org/series/28759/issues_to_migrate/
> <https://www.comics.org/series/28759/issues_to_migrate/>
>
> Shows #1 with items that need migrating
>
> https://www.comics.org/issue/405215/
> <https://www.comics.org/issue/405215/>
>
> -
>
> The letter credit entries that are listed as *Mecanografiado*, which
> is equivalent to the English *typeset *keep showing up as needing to
> be migrated.
>
> -
>
> Is this something that should be fixed, or just ignore and chug on?
>
> ---BRIAN
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/bb460650-ca12-4b7f-b5bf-1e004dfcd49bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/bb460650-ca12-4b7f-b5bf-1e004dfcd49bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brian Stewart

Sep 30, 2022, 11:21:11 AM9/30/22
to gcd-tech
Jochen,

 So basically you are saying that indexers would still put it in as typeset -- but when the page is rendered, it will translate/substitute typeset into the language currently set by the issue's series field?

That is a nice option, but the main point of the question was getting the "migrate" button logic to recognize other language versions of typeset, and not display the "red migrate" button.    When I see the "migrate" button it makes me think a creator needs to be migrated properly, but in this scenario is a false positive since it does not know mecanografiado = typeset.

---BRIAN

Juan F. Gonzalez

Sep 30, 2022, 11:33:27 AM9/30/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Are we supposed to change it to typeset?

Juan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-tech/27b89059-79be-422d-b9f5-639b32f990afn%40googlegroups.com.

Jochen G.

Sep 30, 2022, 2:51:41 PM9/30/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Supposed is maybe too strong, but it would help down the road. So maybe
encouraged ?

We want to show the page more localised, e.g. credited and signed also
differently. I thought about doing it together, but maybe typeset is an
easy change, I'll try to have a look.

Once we have the translation we should remove the existing foreign
language entries.

I won't stop anyone adding filters to the code, but I am not adding
something which I know I'll remove not so far away.

Jochen