Covers/Cloudflare

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Peter Bickford

unread,
1:12 PM (5 hours ago) 1:12 PM
to gcd-tech
Hi folks,

We're trying to figure out a clean workflow so that ComicBase users can better link to the GCD entries and find cover art for any covers not already in ComicBase. (I recently just wrapped up a huge pricing effort for Australian comics which had me bouncing back and forth between ComicBase and GCD for some 20,000 Australian comics--pfew!)

Who's the right person to talk to about Cloudflare/cover access? If there was a clean cover lookup api we could cut out a single ip exception for/set up an api key for access, it would really save a ton of manual work. I also don't want similar work binges to cause annoyance for whoever is in charge of the Cloudflare setup--based on several new "Rate limit" messages I got this morning, I fear I may have inadvertantly caused concern. If so, I'd like to clear it up asap.

Thanks,
-Pete (ComicBase creator)

Principal
Human Computing
1425 Holly Hill Dr
Franklin, TN 37064

Peter Bickford

unread,
1:26 PM (5 hours ago) 1:26 PM
to gcd-tech
Hi folks,

A quick follow-up to my note from this morning.

First, the rate-limit trips were me. A tool in our in-house build was walking series cover galleries at about one page a second. I've paused it, and it won't go back to anything like that pace.

Second, I've just seen Alexandros's PR #778 (signed cover URLs in API v2), and it looks like exactly the door we were hoping for. I also understand from the earlier "Covers?" thread that bulk access is off the table, and we're not asking for it. Our use is one issue at a time: someone is looking at a specific comic, we fetch that one cover once, keep it, and never ask for it again.

The PR mentions it hasn't been tested against Cloudflare yet. If it would help, I'd be glad to be a guinea pig on beta: get an API v2 token, fetch a few hundred covers at whatever pace you set, and report what gets through and what doesn't. The same goes for any caps you decide on. Tell us the limits and we'll build to them.

Thanks for the work on API v2. It'll make this a lot cleaner for everyone.

-Pete
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages