GCD Vote Result: Collaboration between GCD and academic libraries

GCD Voting

Jun 21, 2022, 2:03:22 AM6/21/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

All ballots have been received for the following topic from the Board of Directors agenda:

That the Grand Comics Database (GCD) collaborate with the Lilly Library of Indiana University on a project to investigate creation of a shared national database of comic book information (National Union Catalog).

Further, that the GCD appoint up to three representatives to work with teams addressing the areas of Collaboration Governance (how to sustainably collaborate), Metadata (how to adapt the current GCD data infrastructure to additional uses), and User Needs (what would constituencies such as GCD contributors, scholars, collectors, librarians, and teachers want from a National Union Catalog of comic books).

The GCD representatives will encourage the other participants to expand their ambitions to an international scope.

The results are:

The motion PASSED

Please go to http://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/486/ for more details.

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 21, 2022, 1:10:51 PM6/21/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    I will contact the Lilly Library to find how we can fit in to the
project and begin work.

    Matthew, you mentioned academic work: do you care to elaborate a
bit with something I can include in my reply to the library?

- Don Milne

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 21, 2022, 4:52:59 PM6/21/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Erika informs me that the grant they are using asks for “two-page
resumes” for all key personnel, which myself, Matt, and Jochen now are.
I will put one together for me.  Can you two please put something
together that I can send her?  Also, what e-mail address do you wish to
use with the Library for communications?  I will be using
ch...@comics.org.  If you would like "comics.org" addresses assigned,
let me know. (Jochen may already have one?)

- Don Milne

Donald Dale Milne

Jul 6, 2022, 2:42:51 PM7/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Jochen or Matt, anything to send?  Erika has a deadline on the
application.

- Don Milne

Jochen G.

Jul 6, 2022, 2:50:11 PM7/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

while I am fine with participating in the project, I don't really want
to be individually on a grant. In particular no grant proposal where I
don't even now where it is being sent to and what it is actually about
in detail.
In my day job I am writing grant proposals all the time, and want to
avoid me for this one being recorded in some database, which might get
cross-referenced to something where I am involved.

Regards,
Jochen

Donald Dale Milne

Jul 6, 2022, 5:02:57 PM7/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Fair enough.  I will let her know and see how this impacts the GCD
involvement.

- Don Milne