CBI app for GCD

Donald Dale Milne

Jul 17, 2022, 8:08:55 PM7/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    I have received the following progress report from Alexandros on
his efforts to make the CBI app that was given to us useful.  He
determined that the build he previously did does work, but not
completely.  He was able to add some comics to a test collection, but
most searches for comics to add produced no results, even for books that
he knew have been in the GCD for many years.  He believes part of the
problem is because the app isn't self-contained but relies on a back-end
data-provider service run by the original developer.  Though the service
is still in operation, it does not appear to be up-to-date with our
database.

    He then tried to rebuild the app, but discovered that it was
hitting some new errors, perhaps because he had since
re-installed his Android build environment.  It seems the code is
getting incompatible with the current dev tools and cell phone
technology as time passes.  Because he does not usually work with the
technologies used for the app, he believes he cannot do any more
meaningful work with it due to lack of time and experience.

    It appears that the CBI app we inherited is not useable in its
current state, would require programming personnel and resources we do
not currently have, is dependent on a backend maintained by a third
party, and requires constant maintenance to keep up with changing device
technology.  Therefore, Alexandros recommended that we shelve the app
unless someone else volunteers to take it up, which neither of us
believes is likely.  Unless anyone offers any viable way forward, I will
mark this project as completed.  Perhaps we can someday build an app
after we rebuild our own website.

- Don Milne