GCD Vote Result: Hiring Rehman for tax and accounting services

GCD Voting

Jun 21, 2022, 2:03:02 AM6/21/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

All ballots have been received for the following topic from the Board of Directors agenda:

We authorize the GCD Chair to contact Rehman (https://www.rehmann.com/ ), explain the project's financial and tax situation, and request a quote for hiring them to assess our financials, recommend the steps needed to regain our tax-exempt non-profit status and work with us on an on-going basis to keep the GCD in good standing with the IRS.

The results are:

The motion PASSED

Please go to http://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/485/ for more details.

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 21, 2022, 12:47:00 PM6/21/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    I will contact Rehman later this week and begin discussions.

- Don Milne

Donald Dale Milne

Aug 1, 2022, 5:03:17 PM8/1/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    I have discussed our needs with Mike Lipp and Laura Oblinger of Rehmann.  Mike advises that we are still within the IRS's window for "easy" reinstatement of our tax exempt status.  This runs to November 2022, based our our revocation letter of August 2021.  The IRS charges $275 for this filing.  If we miss this window, there would be more records and work required and a fee of $600 to file.  After we get this status back, we can file the "postcard" type of Form 990 reports that we are missing for several years, and should have everything back to normal.

    Whether we require other tax work would be dependent on our records and how many missing years we need to file.  He does not believe there is any tax liability for the State of Arkansas, but will check further.  There is a possibility that we are due a refund from the IRS for 2021, as we filed a standard corporate tax and may be able to revise that once we are again recognized as tax-exempt.

    Unfortunately, after my initial discussion, I have been unable to get any additional information from Mike at    Rehmann.  He responds to my e-mails only after repeated reminders, and has still not sent the information I requested on an estimate for securing our reinstatement and for an hourly rate for other work.  We have now had a month of inaction.  Therefore, I would consider discussing our needs with some other firm.

    The following accounting firms appear to work specifically with nonprofits:
Jitasa Group - https://www.jitasagroup.com/nonprofit-solutions/nonprofit-bookkeeping-accounting-services/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_device=c&utm_keyword=accountant%20for%20non%20profit&msclkid=d6726bca7d6e1ed56d5d092890f7954f ,
Mission Edge - https://www.missionedge.org/nonprofit-accounting ,
JFWAb - https://jfwaccountingservices.cpa/non-profit-accounting/ .

    I know only what I have read on their websites, but if anyone wants me to contact one of these firms, perhaps we need a new motion.  Otherwise, I will continue to try to get some cost estimates from Rehmann.

- Don Milne

Alexandros Diamantidis

Aug 6, 2022, 7:37:23 PM8/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Don, thanks for the detailed update and for all your work on this till
now... It seems that the news aren't all bad, but it's disheartening
to get so close and not have at least an estimate for hiring them.
Is it possible that they aren't willing to spend much time on us due to
our being too small an organization?

I don't know if other Board members have gone through the sites of the
accounting firms you mention below, but I think the only one listing
some figures for the services they offer is Jitasa - for tax filings for
private foundations they list a fee of $2,500, and given that we're
missing some years of filings as well as new paperwork for requesting
reinstatement as a non-profit, we're probably looking forward to a
significant expense... If Rehmann usually works with larger
non-profits, they might not prioritize working with us.

I'd like to remind the Board that since 2017, I think, the IRS has
reclassified us from a public charity, who can file a "postcard" type of
Form 990 just listing income and expenses, to a private foundation,
which needs to file a much more complicated 990-PF form. Of course, for
us most of the fields in 990-PF will be blank or zero, but nonetheless
it's far from trivial. Also, it's possible that even if we are
reinstated as a non-profit, we might not be able to go back to being a
public charity due to our income sources breakdown (although I might be
mistaken on that - that's why we need an accountant experienced
in US non-profit taxes!).

Anyway, Don, of the three firms you mention below, it seems no-one has
offices close to you, and if we start talking to one of them you'll talk
to them on the phone or via conferencing - or am I mistaken? Does any of
them seem more convenient to contact than the others? If not, i.e.
they're all about the same, I think we might try contacting Mission
Edge, based on this from their FAQ:

- How much do Mission Edge services cost?
Due to the nature of our work, we build our rates to match the value of services we provide to our clients.
- What size organizations do you serve? Are we too small for you?
We have solutions for every size of organization, literally.

Any thoughts? Based on Don's report, as I said, we might try contacting
Mission Edge and seeing whether we can get an estimate for hiring them
to help us with our outstanding tax situation. Alternatively, we might
try contacting SPI (Software in the Public Interest,
https://www.spi-inc.org/) as I mentioned in an older message:

https://groups.google.com/g/gcd-board/c/rmzNx_gMzcw/m/FJaPD0khAgAJ

One last aside: while checking SPI's website again to remind me of their
details, I noticed the following paragraph:

> Please note that as a US 501(c)3 non-profit organization, there are
> legal restrictions on what money SPI can accept. Most common project
> fundraising activities are fine, but if the project plans to do
> anything unusual, please clear it with the Treasurer first. Sales of
> fixed-price items (like T-shirts) are acceptable but the Treasurer
> needs to know about how the money was collected.

Which probably also applies to us as well...

Alexandros

* Donald Dale Milne [2022-08-01 17:03]:
>     I have discussed our needs with Mike Lipp and Laura Oblinger of
> Rehmann.  Mike advises that we are still within the IRS's window for
> "easy" reinstatement of our tax exempt status.  This runs to November
> 2022, based our our revocation letter of August 2021.  The IRS charges
> $275 for this filing.  If we miss this window, there would be more
> records and work required and a fee of $600 to file. After we get this
> status back, we can file the "postcard" type of Form 990 reports that we
> are missing for several years, and should have everything back to normal.
>
>     Whether we require other tax work would be dependent on our records
> and how many missing years we need to file.  He does not believe there
> is any tax liability for the State of Arkansas, but will check further.
> There is a possibility that we are due a refund from the IRS for 2021,
> as we filed a standard corporate tax and may be able to revise that once
> we are again recognized as tax-exempt.
>
>     Unfortunately, after my initial discussion, I have been unable to
> get any additional information from Mike at    Rehmann.  He responds to
> my e-mails only after repeated reminders, and has still not sent the
> information I requested on an estimate for securing our reinstatement
> and for an hourly rate for other work.We have now had a month of

sangorshop

Aug 6, 2022, 9:16:35 PM8/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks both Don and Alexandros. The non-response to follow-up from
Rehmann is distressing.
But I dont know if we should shut that door fully until we get a replacement.
I say go ahead and see what Mission Edge has to offer and perhaps SPI as well

Steven Rowe
> --

Donald Dale Milne

Aug 9, 2022, 9:56:33 AM8/9/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    I just received a reply from Rehmann, so I hope to be able to bring
something to the Board next week.  But I know we don't want to wait
indefinitely.  If I get nowhere in a couple more weeks I will ask for a
resolution to discuss with Mission Edge.

    I did look at the SPI (Software in the Public Interest) site some
more and it appears to me that they operate by taking over the member
projects' finances.  That would be more than just accounting help.  If I
read that correctly, I don't think we want or need to go that route.

- Don Milne

sangorshop

Aug 9, 2022, 10:21:54 AM8/9/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Don, of course thanks to Rehmann we know we're running out of time,
so you may want to go ahead and set up a "If" vote,
Something like "if they don't respond to our liking by August 15 the
chair may take steps to get services elsewhere."
Maybe adding that the chair can compare offers and choose one with
board consultation, but without board vote.

Steven Rowe
> --

Ramon Schenk

Aug 9, 2022, 11:51:56 AM8/9/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense to "think ahead", yes.

Ramon

Donald Dale Milne

Aug 9, 2022, 2:57:07 PM8/9/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    I can't argue with that.  So, if anyone wants to make a motion similar to this suggestion, I'll entertain it.  As it takes us a week to vote and we might still want a couple days for discussion, I've moved the date up to the 18th for action.  I've adapted our language from the first vote below for consideration.

"If Rehmann does not respond satisfactorily to our request for a quote on their accounting services by August 18, we authorize the GCD Chair to contact one or more additional accounting firms, explain the project's financial and tax situation, and request a quote for hiring them to assess our financials, recommend the steps needed to regain our tax-exempt non-profit status and work with us on an on-going basis to keep the GCD in good standing with the IRS."

- Don Milne