Fwd: Potential collaboration between GCD and academic libraries

Lionel English

Apr 20, 2018, 5:32:02 PM4/20/18
to GCD Board
We have received the following message from Erika Dowell, Associate Director & Curator of Modern Books and Manuscripts at the Lilly Library, Indiana University. I think this is a conversation worth pursuing, and, unless there are objections, I will be following up with her to see how we might help each other out. I think there may be some overlap between what she's discussing and the committee I'm currently chairing to define how we want the GCD to expand in the next few years, so that we'll have a basis for evaluating the tech costs in order to seek funding. Note that she discusses pursuing a grant on her end to help fund the tech work; if her needs are compatible with ours then that work would benefit us as well, which would reduce the amount of funding we'd need to come up with without their input.

Apr 20, 2018, 6:03:28 PM4/20/18
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I think this is wonderful.  Don't let her get away!

tony

Jochen G.

Apr 20, 2018, 6:04:36 PM4/20/18
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this definitely is something to follow-up. On our own, we are not
on good grounds for receiving grants, but with a library, in particular
a university library involved, this is much different.

And I find it interesting to quote her: "The standard ways that
libraries catalog books do not work well for comics." ;-)

Jochen

Am 20.04.2018 um 23:32 schrieb Lionel English:
> We have received the following message from Erika Dowell, Associate
> Director & Curator of Modern Books and Manuscripts at the Lilly Library,
> Indiana University. I think this is a conversation worth pursuing, and,
> unless there are objections, I will be following up with her to see how
> we might help each other out. I think there may be some overlap between
> what she's discussing and the committee I'm currently chairing to define
> how we want the GCD to expand in the next few years, so that we'll have
> a basis for evaluating the tech costs in order to seek funding. Note
> that she discusses pursuing a grant on her end to help fund the tech
> work; if her needs are compatible with ours then that work would benefit
> us as well, which would reduce the amount of funding we'd need to come
> up with without their input.
>
> __

Donald Dale Milne

Apr 20, 2018, 7:04:34 PM4/20/18
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

    Excellent!  I hope you can have some fruitful discussions.

- Don Milne

Donald Dale Milne

Apr 20, 2018, 7:07:49 PM4/20/18
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

    It may also be useful to be aware that these folks are still working on their research project: http://www.whatwerecomics.com/about/ .  They are using our data as a base.

- Don Milne

Jochen G.

Nov 8, 2018, 5:50:09 PM11/8/18
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Did something come out of this ?

Jochen

Am 20.04.2018 um 14:32 schrieb Lionel English:
> We have received the following message from Erika Dowell, Associate
> Director & Curator of Modern Books and Manuscripts at the Lilly Library,
> Indiana University. I think this is a conversation worth pursuing, and,
> unless there are objections, I will be following up with her to see how
> we might help each other out. I think there may be some overlap between
> what she's discussing and the committee I'm currently chairing to define
> how we want the GCD to expand in the next few years, so that we'll have
> a basis for evaluating the tech costs in order to seek funding. Note
> that she discusses pursuing a grant on her end to help fund the tech
> work; if her needs are compatible with ours then that work would benefit
> us as well, which would reduce the amount of funding we'd need to come
> up with without their input.
>
> __

Lionel English

Nov 10, 2018, 9:49:43 PM11/10/18
to GCD Board
No, last we spoke (probably in June) she was planning on talking to colleagues in other libraries at an upcoming conference. I haven't heard back from her. But from the conversations we did have, she was interested in being able to have their catalog tap directly into the DB, but didn't have any specific needs identified. I don't think she'd thought that far ahead.

Lionel English
shoeb...@gmail.com

Tony

Dec 7, 2019, 9:24:25 PM12/7/19
to gcd-board
Lionel, did you ever hear any more?  Do you think that it's worth following up on?

tony
> <mailto:hoeb...@gmail.com>
>
> --
> --
> Groups "gcd-board" group.

Lionel English
shoeb...@gmail.com

Lionel English

Dec 8, 2019, 10:19:42 PM12/8/19
to GCD Board
I never heard back.

Nor did I ever follow up.

--
Lionel English
shoeb...@gmail.com

Donald Dale Milne

May 6, 2022, 12:37:06 PM5/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    As the thread at https://groups.google.com/g/gcd-board/search?q=Lilly%20Library shows, we had some discussion with the Lilly Library of Indiana University during 2018 regarding collaboration on a project that might both use and improve our data.  Erika Dowell, Associate Director & Curator of Modern Books and Manuscripts, has re-contacted me regarding the project, noting the Library’s renovation and the global pandemic put this idea on hold for a few years, but they are now ready to move forward.

    She plans to submit a grant application to the National Endowment for the Humanities for a Foundations grant under their Humanities Collections and Reference Sources grant.  This is a planning grant that would support bringing together librarians, GCD representatives, academics, and others to explore the possibility of creating this collaborative project.  The grant application is due July 19, 2022, so this work will take place in the next two months or so. (They have to hand off the application to the Indiana University Office of Research Administration a few weeks before the deadline.)

    Erika has two specific questions for our Board:
  1. Would the GCD be willing to participate in this planning process if they receive the funding? Participating in the planning process does not commit you any particular outcome, only to the exploration of the idea.
  2. If the GCD is willing, does the Board have one or two people who could assist in preparing the grant application in the next two months or so?  This work would include contributing the GCD perspective to the grant narrative and helping to review the overall plan.
    If the GCD is willing to participate in this planning process, I would need to let her know soon.  I believe this is exactly the type of project we should participate in, as it would help solidify our place as the premier repository of comic book data.  A collaboration with a university would also enhance our status to try to regain our non-profit status.  If we could receive part of the grant funds, we could use it to do some of the database and/or interface improvements we have envisioned, including an expansion to include newspaper strips.  With proper publicity through the project partners, we might even expand our volunteer data entering membership.

    I believe we should formally reply with an offer to be part of the planning process, through a Board motion.  I volunteer to be one of two GCD members to participate.  During 2018, Lionel English was discussing this with her and he may wish to be part of this again.  If not, does any other Board member wish to take part in discussions?  If no one does, I could post a call on Main to see of another member is interested.

- Don Milne

    Her grant project proposal follows:
"NATIONAL UNION CATALOG OF COMIC BOOKS
BRIEF DESCRIPTION

The standard ways that libraries catalog books do not work well for comics. Writers and artists change,  series are rebooted. Most importantly, no library system captures much information about characters, themes, genres, and visual imagery—just the kinds of information that library users would like to have.

I have often been approached by staff at my library asking to enhance our admittedly poor description of our comics, but we won’t get anywhere by individual, piecemeal efforts. What we need to do is leverage the description that already exists, and the GCD data is some of the best description out there.

My idea is to create a shared national database of comic book information that would allow for user tagging (for themes, characters, etc.) and allow libraries to indicate if they own specific issues.

An ideal solution would be a partnership with GCD. We could pursue a large grant to support growing the GCD to include library holdings and enhance the ability for crowdsourcing of subject and thematic information. The GCD’s large trove of data and international scope are attractive from my perspective.

I know the GCD shares data, so I could use that data to create a libraries-only resource, or even a database just for Lilly Library comics. However, better descriptive access to comics is a need for libraries around the world, making a collaboration with your organization a better solution. A collaboration would also be more appealing to potential funders. With such a project, we could solve problems for libraries, provide a great service to collectors and researchers, and make the GCD even better than it already is."

On 12/8/2019 10:19 PM, Lionel English wrote:
I never heard back.

Nor did I ever follow up.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 2:50 PM Jochen G. <gcd...@garcke.de> wrote:
Did something come out of this ?

Jochen

Ron S

May 6, 2022, 2:44:54 PM5/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I suggest the second person be from the technical side.

Ron

Jun 2, 2022, 3:43:47 PM6/2/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Erika has sent some additional information on how the collaboration MAY be organized.  That follows.  As there has been no discussion among the Board, I will ask for volunteers on Main.  If there appears to be no interest from the Board or the members, I will have to let her know that the GCD is unable to participate at this time.

- Don Milne

"I’ve been working on gathering collaborators and figuring out what the project team will look like. Right now, I thinking of the project team as nine people. Six librarians and three GCD representatives, with three primary work teams addressing respectively:

  1. Governance: What would a collaboration look like organizationally? How could we make it sustainable?
  2. Metadata: How could the current GCD data infrastructure be adapted to these additional uses?
  3. User needs: What are our needs? What would various constituencies (GCD contributors, scholars, collections, librarians, teachers, etc.) want from a national union catalog of comic books?
It would be great to have a GCD representative on each of these teams, but I know it will be a major time commitment. I expect it to be 2 meetings per month for a year, with travel to two in-person meetings, and work in-between."

Matthew Gore

Jun 2, 2022, 3:55:04 PM6/2/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

I’d be very interested in this seeing as it dovetails with one of my academic areas. However, the interim position I accepted for three months is now well into its third year.

Still, I’d be interested and I pretty much speak the language.

Matt

Jochen G.

Jun 2, 2022, 4:40:18 PM6/2/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I can be somewhat involved, maybe not regularly, but when it is more
database oriented (my participation would also impose some more
constraints on the time of a meetings, and no in-person meetings, unless
I am in the US anyway for reasons)

Jochen

Am 02.06.22 um 21:43 schrieb Donald Dale Milne:
>     Erika has sent some additional information on how the collaboration
> MAY be organized.  That follows.  As there has been no discussion among
> the Board, I will ask for volunteers on Main.  If there appears to be no
> interest from the Board or the members, I will have to let her know that
> the GCD is unable to participate at this time.
>
> - Don Milne
>
> "I’ve been working on gathering collaborators and figuring out what the
> project team will look like. Right now, I thinking of the project team
> as nine people. Six librarians and three GCD representatives, with three
> primary work teams addressing respectively:
>
> 1. Governance: What would a collaboration look like organizationally?
> How could we make it sustainable?
> 2. Metadata: How could the current GCD data infrastructure be adapted
> to these additional uses?
> 3. User needs: What are our needs? What would various constituencies
> (GCD contributors, scholars, collections, librarians, teachers,
> etc.) want from a national union catalog of comic books?
>
> It would be great to have a GCD representative on each of these teams,
> but I know it will be a major time commitment. I expect it to be 2
> meetings per month for a year, with travel to two in-person meetings,
> and work in-between."
>
> On 5/6/2022 2:44 PM, Ron S wrote:
>> I suggest the second person be from the technical side.
>>
>> Ron

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 3, 2022, 4:32:24 PM6/3/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    My main area of interest would be the User Needs.  I would not be
attending any in-person meetings.  Perhaps it's safe to say the the GCD
has always operated online and we do not have any in-person meetings.

    Now that we have three people with some interest in working on
this, does anyone care to make a motion that the GCD is willing to
participate in this planning process?  If we do, I still think it might
be useful to ask for additional volunteers on Main.

- Don Milne

Matthew Gore

Jun 4, 2022, 6:46:36 PM6/4/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I’ll make said motion.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 3, 2022, at 3:32 PM, Donald Dale Milne <dond...@att.net> wrote:
>
>  My main area of interest would be the User Needs. I would not be attending any in-person meetings. Perhaps it's safe to say the the GCD has always operated online and we do not have any in-person meetings.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-board/cf49cdee-73d3-9586-851c-3396000f9ffa%40att.net.

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 5, 2022, 11:42:29 AM6/5/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    As you did not include any specific language, is this acceptable
for a yes/no vote?

"That the Grand Comics Database (GCD) collaborate with the Lilly Library
of Indiana University on a project to investigate creation of a shared
national database of comic book information (National Union Catalog).
Further, that the GCD appoint up to three representatives to work with
teams addressing the areas of Collaboration Governance (how to
sustainably collaborate), Metadata (how to adapt the current GCD data
infrastructure to additional uses), and User Needs (what would
constituencies such as GCD contributors, scholars, collectors,
librarians, and teachers want from a National Union Catalog of comic
books)."

- Don Milne

Matthew Gore

Jun 5, 2022, 8:28:06 PM6/5/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Works for me!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 5, 2022, at 10:42 AM, Donald Dale Milne <dond...@att.net> wrote:
>
>  As you did not include any specific language, is this acceptable for a yes/no vote?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-board/8ea321a6-d175-f2b5-e1e8-bc9d6279fb43%40att.net.

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 5, 2022, 9:34:35 PM6/5/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Thanks.  Motion recognized; is there a second?

- Don Milne

Ramon Schenk

Jun 6, 2022, 2:14:14 AM6/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Does this truly need "National" in the language? Seems limiting.

Ramon

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 6, 2022, 7:17:58 AM6/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Interesting point.  That is all the University is proposing at this time, but we have international data available.  If we do engage in this, one of our representatives could suggest an international scope.  I do not know why they chose that limitation, but it could be funding, available expertise, time constraints, or other.  If Matthew agrees to remove that from his motion, we could.  I would have no problem with removing it.

- Don Milne

Matthew Gore

Jun 6, 2022, 10:36:53 AM6/6/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

If I understand the proposal correctly, and it is entirely possible I do not, then the purpose is to produce a National Union Catalog of Comic Books which would be akin to the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collection or the National Union Catalog [of Books] which are really tailored to collections in the United States. It would be a cataloging tool to provide sameness for institutional collections of comic books.

Matt

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 9, 2022, 5:42:53 PM6/9/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    That is also how I interpret the proposal.  Note that at this time, the proposed collaboration in on investigating the creation of the catalog, not yet on implementation.  If we do this and I am involved on the proposed committee, I will certainly raise the idea of a worldwide catalog.  As I noted before, the University may have reasons for looking only at a national catalog at this time.

    Is there a second, or no?

- Don Milne

Alexandros Diamantidis

Jun 10, 2022, 4:52:13 AM6/10/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Seconded.

* Donald Dale Milne [2022-06-09 17:42]:
>     That is also how I interpret the proposal.  Note that at this time,
> the proposed collaboration in on investigating the creation of the
> catalog, not yet on implementation.  If we do this and I am involved on
> the proposed committee, I will certainly raise the idea of a worldwide
> catalog.  As I noted before, the University may have reasons for looking
> only at a national catalog at this time.
>
>     Is there a second, or no?
>
> - Don Milne
>
> On 6/6/2022 10:36 AM, Matthew Gore wrote:
> >
> > If I understand the proposal correctly, and it is entirely possible I
> > do not, then the purpose is to produce a National Union Catalog of
> > Comic Books which would be akin to the National Union Catalog of
> > Manuscript Collection or the National Union Catalog [of Books] which
> > are really tailored to collections in the United States. It would be a
> > cataloging tool to provide sameness for institutional collections of
> > comic books.
> >
> > Matt

Alexandros Diamantidis * ad...@hellug.gr

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 10, 2022, 7:29:44 AM6/10/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Second recognized; is there discussion?

- Don Milne

Matthew Gore

Jun 10, 2022, 9:38:04 AM6/10/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Well, as an academic and an archivist, I think the idea of a National Union Catalog is tremendous. I occasionally give a presentation "Comics in the Archives" and have often talked to library and special collections professionals struggling to catalog comics and create finding aids to their holdings. A catalog would be a great step forward and, to some, enhance the legitimacy of institutional comic book collections.

Matt
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-board/9883e78a-e329-b259-63ac-1c583b7186d6%40att.net.

Ramon Schenk

Jun 12, 2022, 10:23:46 AM6/12/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I consider the notion of a US-only catalogue counter-intuitive to our goals and, frankly, a step back in time. What is this, pre-internet days?

Ramon

Matthew Gore

Jun 12, 2022, 12:22:55 PM6/12/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Typically most US institutions are mainly struggling with cataloging US comics. Presumably once the basic cataloging framework is built out it would apply to the cataloging of any comics format material. Besides, unless a project like this is limited in some ways it is unlikely to ever get done.

Sent from my iPhone

Ramon Schenk

Jun 13, 2022, 12:32:33 AM6/13/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
With all due respect, Matt, if this had been the GCD's angle twenty years ago, the project would have been dead by now.

Ramon

Jochen G.

Jun 13, 2022, 2:03:50 AM6/13/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
While a national perspective is fine from their point of view, it is
clear that we will do and support nothing that hampers any international
perspective and furthermore will from our point of view aim for setup of
an international catalog, where "their" catalog might be a subset of. We
should add a sentence reflecting that.

Jochen

Am 12.06.22 um 18:22 schrieb Matthew Gore:
> Typically most US institutions are mainly struggling with cataloging US
> comics. Presumably once the basic cataloging framework is built out it
> would apply to the cataloging of any comics format material. Besides,
> unless a project like this is limited in some ways it is unlikely to
> ever get done.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 12, 2022, at 9:23 AM, Ramon Schenk <ramon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I consider the notion of a US-only catalogue counter-intuitive to our
>> goals and, frankly, a step back in time. What is this, pre-internet days?
>>
>> Ramon
>>
>> Op vr 10 jun. 2022 15:38 schreef Matthew Gore <m...@cumberland.org

Matthew Gore

Jun 13, 2022, 10:47:50 AM6/13/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

I won’t argue that at all but what does one have to do with the other? This project, if implemented, won’t impact GCD content. Because we are international we can’t aid in a national project?

Matt

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 16, 2022, 10:13:59 AM6/16/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    As we have had a week's discussion and no one has proposed an
actual amendment, and the University has now asked again for a decision,
can you please set up a vote on this, Ramon?

- Don Milne

Ramon Schenk

Jun 17, 2022, 7:06:42 AM6/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
It is counter to our goals, yes.

Ramon

Ramon Schenk

Jun 17, 2022, 7:07:25 AM6/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Didn't Jochen suggest adding a line about striving for international rather than national scope?

Ramon

Op do 16 jun. 2022 16:13 schreef Donald Dale Milne <dond...@att.net>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-board/3ab26d56-a505-aea7-d872-e296760eae33%40att.net.

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 17, 2022, 7:50:49 AM6/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    He did suggest that, as did I in a previous e-mail.  No one has offered an amendment to the motion.

- Don Milne

Ramon Schenk

Jun 17, 2022, 9:23:26 AM6/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Here is mine:

"The GCD representatives will encourage the other participants to expand their ambitions to an international scope."

That will leave our people enough room to decide how to do so.

Ramon

Donald Dale Milne

Jun 17, 2022, 9:50:11 AM6/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    Motion to amend recognized; is there a second?

- Don Milne
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gcd-board+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcd-board/CAGMcqBkvWYQLN-Jem_HqrqXd5R7XB4mt%2ByynCB3BorPgatkHvQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexandros Diamantidis

Jun 17, 2022, 1:35:09 PM6/17/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
In order to expedite our decision making, and as I seconded the motion,
I think we could incorporate this as a friendly amendment without going
through a motion to amend - as long as Matt as the original motion-maker
aggrees and there are no other objections. So, the text to vote on will
become:

"That the Grand Comics Database (GCD) collaborate with the Lilly Library
of Indiana University on a project to investigate creation of a shared
national database of comic book information (National Union Catalog).

Further, that the GCD appoint up to three representatives to work with
teams addressing the areas of Collaboration Governance (how to
sustainably collaborate), Metadata (how to adapt the current GCD data
infrastructure to additional uses), and User Needs (what would
constituencies such as GCD contributors, scholars, collectors,
librarians, and teachers want from a National Union Catalog of comic
books).

The GCD representatives will encourage the other participants to expand
their ambitions to an international scope."

Matt, would you accept this as a friendly amendment?

Alexandros

* Donald Dale Milne [2022-06-17 09:50]:

Matthew Gore

Jun 18, 2022, 11:15:07 PM6/18/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

Sure, I'm fine with that.

Jun 19, 2022, 7:30:52 AM6/19/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
    OK, with both the maker of the motion and second agreeing to this friendly amendment, can you please set up a vote on the amended language, Ramon?

- Don Milne

Ramon Schenk

Jun 19, 2022, 9:37:55 AM6/19/22
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com