end of GCC MELT

Basile Starynkevitch

Mar 29, 2018, 12:47:53 AM3/29/18
to gcc-melt
Hello All,

I am no longer working on GCC MELT, and the gcc-melt.org domain will soon disappear (in april 2018), since I won't renew it. I would then disable this google group.

The old GCC MELT site is available (for archive purposes) on http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/gcc-melt but it won't be updated anymore.

Thanks to all for your interest.

Regards

--
Basile Starynkevitch    http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
Bourg La Reine, France

AMIT RANJAN

Mar 29, 2018, 1:30:46 AM3/29/18
to gcc-...@googlegroups.com, bas...@starynkevitch.net
Thanks for all your support and kind work:).

Best Wishes,
Amit Ranjan

Message from the http://groups.google.com/group/gcc-melt group.
About GCC MELT http://gcc-melt.org/ a high level domain specific language to code extensions to the Gnu Compiler Collection

---

Basile Starynkevitch

Mar 29, 2018, 1:42:39 AM3/29/18
to gcc-melt

On 03/29/2018 06:47 AM, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am no longer working on GCC MELT, and the gcc-melt.org domain will
> soon disappear (in april 2018), since I won't renew it. I would then
> disable this google group.

For curious people, I am still working on static analysis with GCC. My
current work is funded by the CHARIOT H2020 project.
http://www.chariotproject.eu/

So there will be something related to GCC, a successor of MELT
(completely unrelated and incompatible). Today in march 2018, there is
nothing useful yet, but curious people could glance on my github account
and the bismon repository there
(caveat: what you'll find today there is not yet related to GCC; it is
an embryonic persistent domain specific language which should be able -
perhaps at end of 2018 - to generate some GCC plugin; but no
documentation and no release yet, just some code on
https://github.com/bstarynk/bismon/tree/better-objects which only I
Basile am able to run in march 2018).

So don't hold your breath and be patient. I am busily working. The
result won't be compatible with GCC MELT (but has similar goal of
facilitating static source code analysis thru GCC). But the approach is
entirely different.

Regards

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH == http://starynkevitch.net/Basile
opinions are mine only - les opinions sont seulement miennes

Sanel Zukan

Mar 29, 2018, 5:39:31 AM3/29/18
to Basile Starynkevitch, gcc-melt
Hi Basile,

Basile Starynkevitch <bas...@starynkevitch.net> writes:
> Hello All,
>
> I am no longer working on GCC MELT, and the gcc-melt.org domain will soon
> disappear (in april 2018), since I won't renew it. I would then disable
> this google group.

I'm sorry for this :( GCC MELT was the only capable extension framework
for GCC with high level language. What are the reasons for your
decision?

I'm curious, how hard would be to keep MELT up to date with the latest
GCC versions?

Thanks for your enormous work done so far.

> The old GCC MELT site is available (for archive purposes) on
> http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/gcc-melt but it won't be updated anymore.
>
> Thanks to all for your interest.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Basile Starynkevitch http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
> Bourg La Reine, France

Best regards,
Sanel

Basile Starynkevitch

Mar 29, 2018, 7:40:15 AM3/29/18
to gcc-...@googlegroups.com, Sanel Zukan

On 03/29/2018 11:39 AM, Sanel Zukan wrote:
> Hi Basile,
>
> Basile Starynkevitch <bas...@starynkevitch.net> writes:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am no longer working on GCC MELT, and the gcc-melt.org domain will soon
>> disappear (in april 2018), since I won't renew it. I would then disable
>> this google group.
> I'm sorry for this :( GCC MELT was the only capable extension framework
> for GCC with high level language. What are the reasons for your
> decision?

Lack of funding. My employer requires me to get funded.

However, I'm trying again to make a high-level domain specific language
for GCC.
(But it won't be compatible with MELT).

Current work within CHARIOT got an H2020 funding for 3 years.

Cheers.

Basile Starynkevitch

Mar 29, 2018, 7:41:13 AM3/29/18
to Sanel Zukan, gcc-melt

On 03/29/2018 11:39 AM, Sanel Zukan wrote:
> Hi Basile,
>
> Basile Starynkevitch <bas...@starynkevitch.net> writes:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am no longer working on GCC MELT, and the gcc-melt.org domain will soon
>> disappear (in april 2018), since I won't renew it. I would then disable
>> this google group.
> I'm sorry for this :( GCC MELT was the only capable extension framework
> for GCC with high level language. What are the reasons for your
> decision?
>
> I'm curious, how hard would be to keep MELT up to date with the latest
> GCC versions?

Quite hard actually. But you could try (this is the beauty of open
source software) to fork GCC MELT.