ONLINE ACTION ALERT: Honor Rachel Corrie and Divest from Home Demolitions

Nancy Kricorian

Aug 24, 2012, 5:02:14 PM8/24/12
Dear all,
This online action alert will be going out from We Divest within a few hours, and I'm sending to my personal lists. Please forgive duplicates. (For Stolen Beauty online action team members, this is slightly off our target, but is BDS related and I thought you might want to pitch in as part of the coalition effort.) Campaign Tweeting starts on Sunday but the hashtag #RememberRachel is already in use. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nancy

Honor Rachel Corrie: Divest from Caterpillar and home demolitions!

Next week on August 28th, the family of Rachel Corrie, who was killed by Israeli Defense forces with a bulldozer during a home demolition in Gaza, will be in Haifa, Israel to hear the verdict in their civil lawsuit against the Israeli Ministry of Defense. Human rights activists around the world will protest in solidarity with the Corrie family and with all Palestinian families who have had their homes demolished by Caterpillar bulldozers. Across the US activists will deliver a letter to TIAA-CREF offices asking them to honor the work of Rachel Corrie by divesting completely from Caterpillar.

Not able to participate in a street protest? No worries. You can join our online action team. A coalition of Palestinian solidarity activists is planning to use Twitter to amplify the Corries’ message against home demolitions and the Israeli occupation.

THE 3-DAY ACTION PLAN

DAY 1

On Sunday, August 26th, starting 8:00AM E.S.T.

   Begin to Tweet General Tweets using the hashtag #rememberrachel

SAMPLE TWEETS

Below are suggested tweets that you can cut and paste into your feed, and you can also create your own. If you’re drafting your own, please remember to include the hashtag #RememberRachel.

IDF responsible 4 death/injuries of US citizens RachelCorrie EmilyHenochowitz TristanAnderson FurkanDogan #RememberRachel #BDS

US StateDept says Israeli investigation of Rachel’s death was NOT “thorough, credible, and transparent” #RememberRachel #BDS

PrawerPlan: Forced removal of 70K Arab Bedouin Israeli citizens, destruction of 35 villages. #RememberRachel tinyurl.com/9jsk2gb #BDS

Rachel Corrie wrongful death lawsuit verdict to be announced on August 28 http://ow.ly/d9Cqb #RememberRachel #Israel

Rachel Corrie killed by @Caterpillarinc bulldozer during home demolition in 2003 http://ow.ly/d9Fi6 #RememberRachel

On 1st day of civil suit, British activist testified about seeing Rachel Corrie killed http://ow.ly/d9FF4 #RememberRachel

DAY 2

Monday, August 27th, 12:00PM EST (Day before verdict)

   Begin to Tweet sample tweets targeting T-CREF, #RemembeRachel

   Follow @RCFoundation for live tweets from the courtroom day of the verdict starting after midnight in the U.S. and RT

Sample Tweets

IDF has used @Caterpillarinc bulldozers to demolish homes without giving notice to occupants #RememberRachel

CAT bulldozer demolished home of deaf 70y/o Ibrahim Khalafalla who was unable to walk, killing him #RememberRachel

RachelCorries alma mater @evergreenstcol 1st whose students voted to boycott @caterpillarinc #RememberRachel #BDS

CAT bulldozers demolished 16K homes in Rafah alone, where Rachel was killed. #RememberRachel

In Nazlat 'Isa marketplace, 100 shops, 5 homes were demolished by 15 CAT bulldozers in 1 day #RememberRachel

Demolition of Palestinian homes in the WestBank left 213 minors homeless in 2012 tinyurl.com/6ctnarm #RememberRachel

Excellent report on Caterpillar's role in Occupied Territories from @WarOnWant http://ow.ly/cUayZ #RememberRachel

FROM THE ARCHIVE: Rachel Corrie killed by @Caterpillarinc bulldozer http://ow.ly/d9D4i @TC_Talks #RememberRachel

Caterpillar dropped from social choice fund; @TC_Talks divest NOW from @Caterpillarinc http://ow.ly/d9DvY  #RememberRachel

HISTORY: @Caterpillarinc pressured over weaponized bulldozer used to kill Rachel Corrie http://ow.ly/d9E1r  #RememberRachel

DAY 3

Tuesday, August 28 (Day of Verdict)

*Continue Tweeting about Rachel Corrie, Caterpillar, and home demolitions using #RememberRachel, the sample tweets and your own.

* Sign up to join an effort to trend a unique hashtag related to the verdict. (Send your e-mail to na...@stolenbeauty.org by the evening of August 27th to get notice of the hashtag and instructions on the morning of August 28.)

Thank you for joining us in remembering Rachel, who stood in solidarity with the Palestinian people against home demolitions and occupation. Thank you for working for justice, dignity and equality for all in Israel and Palestine.

#RememberRachel social media team

P.S. REMEMBER if you want to help trend a unique hashtag after the verdict send an email to na...@stolenbeauty.org.

--
The only recognizable feature of hope is action.
Grace Paley