We want your feedback!

已查看 7 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Ra @ Gateway

未读,
2010年3月14日 19:02:502010/3/14
收件人 Gateway Announcements
Players,

The Gateway staff have been discussing options for our direction
forward, and would like feedback from our player base before we embark
on a course of action. Please consider the following and offer your
feedback by either email to gatewa...@mu-gateway.net or +pitch
in-game. (+help pitch)

As most of you are aware, Gateway - The MU* Community is the current
incarnation of what was formerly Online Gaming Resources (OGR), and much
of the current grid and background code has been designed and
implemented by staff long since moved on to other pastures. The main
systems we employ are the embassies and corresponding +muds list, a
Gaming area for hosting either tabletop, freeform RP, or mini-mu* games,
and channels/boards for maintaining a community, asking and offering
assistance, etc. Our current staff has been working to improve these
systems over time, but there is only so much that can be done given
fundamental design decisions made with the original and implemented
incrementally over many years. Improvements in MU* servers in recent
years (additional, more efficient commands as well as SQL and other
interface capabilities) make a lot more possible than once was.
Converting the current system to newer capabilities is probably more
work than designing a new system from scratch; and even that is a
significant undertaking and investment of staff resources, for only an
incremental change in capabilities. If you are ambivalent between the
two options below, it is likely we�ll default to the one that takes less
work. If you are truly excited about other options, we�d like to hear
that as well, including any suggestions you would have for improving the
design and any availability you would have to assist in the undertaking.

Option 1: Status quo. Keep the existing database structure, embassies,
tabletop rooms, freestyle rp, mini-mu* areas. It serves its purpose and
that�s all I really need Gateway - The MU* Community to provide me.

Option 2: Redesign to require minimal (if any) staff intervention. Some
key aspects of this new system could be: (1) Player enter-able /
editable information similar to what presently exists for embassies and
+muds, but would not require an application. This information would be
interfaced with the wiki site, so updates in one spot would be reflected
on the other. The current system of room-as-embassies would be
eliminated. (2) On-demand generation of rooms for spontaneous RP
(similar to freestyle) or �refuge sites� for games which are temporarily
down. These would be removed when no longer needed. (3) Player
enter-able / editable information (without application) for tabletop
gaming and mini-mu* (interfaced with wiki), which would have associated
�permanent� room(s) on-grid, as long as a minimum level of activity
existed. (4) room to add on other features/systems at player request.

Option 2 would also require 1 or 2 additional non-code staff to help
with Embassies, and other non-code items. If you wish to apply, you can
include it with your e-mail or +pitch.

Please let us know if you have a strong preference to either option, and
even if you have no preference.

--
Ra, Coordinator
Gateway, The MU* Community

"Turn around, look at what you see
In her face, the mirror of your dreams
Make believe I'm everywhere, hidden in the lines
Written on the pages is the answer to our neverending story"

- The Neverending Story

回复全部
回复作者
转发