garnishments

robby jones

Apr 6, 2009, 10:54:42 PM4/6/09
to garnish...@googlegroups.com
A creditor recently received a "Notice to the judgement debtor of garnishment of other than personal earnings". The court sent me a notice. Can you tell me if this means they can take my vehicles and proprerty (Land)?

Thank You,

Jason Jones

Tom Fox

Apr 10, 2009, 11:38:40 AM4/10/09
to Garnishment Law
This ia is a good question, Jason.

Alas, I've been right in the middle of moving to a new residence, and
I don't even have my main computer set up yet. It may be a few days
before I can get back to this, but I will respond in more detail
later. This is an interesting area of the law.

First, your state of residence is of critical importance. Each state
has a different set of rules and practices regarding garnishment.

It is generally true, but there may be strange exceptions in some
state or another, that "garnishment" refers to property or assets
owned by you but in the possession of a third party, or owed to you by
some third party.

One example is your checking account. It is your money, but it is
being held by a third party - the bank. Bank accounts are fequently
the target of a non-wage garnishments.

Hope this helps.

Tom Fox
Louisville, Kentucky