wage garnishment

Melh...@yahoo.com

Oct 18, 2012, 4:30:59 PM10/18/12
to garnish...@googlegroups.com
The law office I work for has never done a wage garnishment case before. We took one a couple of weeks ago thinking the process would be simple, however, we have run into some trouble. For one, the divorce judgment which led to the garnishment occured in Missouri. Second, we cannot find the ex-husband's (debtor) employee information. His ex-wife knows the city in Kentucky that he lives in (Richmond) however, she has no idea where he works. I tried to do an accruint search for the debtors place of employment (we have his social and first and last name) and although we located the debtor and several addresses that he could live at, there was no information regarding his place of employment. I do have his cell phone number and I called and left him a voicemail but chances are slim that he will call me back in order to tell me where he works so I can garnish his wages. What else can I do to find out his place of employment? Is there a court order that I can file to get this info? Also, just to make positive I'm doing the garnishment correct, I need to fill out the AOC form on domestication, file this in Madison County along with a filing fee. Once the judgment is domesticated I need to file out a wage garnishment AOC form and serve it on the employer? Please let me know if this is accurate. Thank you!

Melissa Doss, Law Clerk for Lawrence & Associates

Tom Fox

Oct 19, 2012, 8:52:44 AM10/19/12
to garnish...@googlegroups.com, Melh...@yahoo.com
I don't know any way to garnish wages without first identifying the employer.  If the ex-spouse doesn't know, who does?

Craig Smith

Oct 19, 2012, 11:20:49 PM10/19/12
to garnish...@googlegroups.com
Has the wife ever got a check from him? If you know the bank he uses,
you can go for a bank gran. When I was running a Collection agency,
we would put a credit report and see where he had credit cards. Then
we would serve each of those banks with with a garn for "all
accounts". Of course we would be wasting the money on the banks he
didn't have accounts at, but we would hit often enough to make it
worth it. If the wife can get him to send $20 to help pay for the
kids school supplies (or any reason) you have is bank account info and
you can hit "all accounts" at that bank. Maybe shouldn't tell you
this one... If the judgement was big enough, we would send his a
$10.00 "service fee refund" made out "payee only" (which means
nothing- but third parties don't want to cash it so hopefully he will
just put it in his bank account and when you get the canceled check
you have the bank info on the back of the check if the wife had info
on the car (like an old proof of insurance) we would put a lean on the
car (or bike or what ever) Then notify him that we will not realse
the lein unless we have a valid payment arrangement with at least 3
payments made on time. Again, as soon as we got the checking info we
would him with a bank garn.

It was much easier if she had the kids. Like the school needs his
emergency contact including how to reach him at POE.

or needs a copy of his W2 for doing the taxes,