Lets make plans for an official release of Gargoyle

Dannii Willis

Mar 16, 2019, 10:28:07 PM3/16/19
to garglk-dev
Hi everyone,

Our discussions on making a new official release of Gargoyle stalled once again. Which is a real shame because we've got eight years of updates that most people are missing out on. So lets try again, and see if we can figure out exactly what steps are needed. And with the upcoming Narrascope conference, maybe that could give us a little extra impetus to have a soft deadline as there'll be extra interest on IF around that time. So how about we aim for mid-May?

Questions:
  1. Are there any major outstanding bugs which need to be addressed before a release?
  2. Cas/cspiegel, how is your cmake branch coming along? Is it reliable enough to merge in yet?
  3. Who's in charge? Cas has been responsible for most of the change and merging pull requests for the last few years. Are you happy to remain in charge and be the release manager (ie, decide what still needs to be pulled in, what commit we cut as the final release, coordinate)?
  4. Who will be responsible for each platform? We need Windows, MacOS, and Linux (probably Debian/Ubuntu, but if someone wants to do an official build for a RPM distro too that would be great.)
  5. Where do we publish to? I notice that Tor has updated the Gargoyle webpage to point to Github, which makes it much easier to push a new release. We should also of course upload the files to the IF Archive. Is there anyone else? Anyone have contact details for whoever is responsible for the Debian package?
For me, I'm willing to help where needed. I've built a test build of Gargoyle previously in Ubuntu, and could probably work out how to do it in Windows too, though I'd be happy if someone else really wanted to do that ;). I'd also be willing to take the role of release manager if Cas would prefer not to.

Adam Thornton

Mar 17, 2019, 5:44:42 PM3/17/19
to curiou...@gmail.com, garglk-dev

> On Mar 16, 2019, at 7:28 PM, Dannii Willis <curiou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Our discussions on making a new official release of Gargoyle stalled once again. Which is a real shame because we've got eight years of updates that most people are missing out on. So lets try again, and see if we can figure out exactly what steps are needed. And with the upcoming Narrascope conference, maybe that could give us a little extra impetus to have a soft deadline as there'll be extra interest on IF around that time. So how about we aim for mid-May?

I think it’s a great idea. I don’t think I’m the right person to be a release maintainer, but I did want to throw in a thumbs up.

Adam

Nikos Chantziaras

Mar 20, 2019, 10:12:09 AM3/20/19
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On 17/03/2019 04:28, Dannii Willis wrote:
> 4. Who will be responsible for each platform? We need Windows, MacOS,
> and Linux (probably Debian/Ubuntu, but if someone wants to do an
> official build for a RPM distro too that would be great.)

It might be worth using Travis CI to create release builds. For Linux,
you could create an AppImage on Travis that covers all distros:

https://docs.appimage.org/packaging-guide/travis.html