Run interpreter binary directly in OSX

Dannii Willis

Jan 30, 2015, 3:59:27 AM1/30/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, is it possible to run the interpreter binaries directly in OSX, rather than using the launcher? When I try running git I get the following error:

2015-01-30 18:57:51.585 git[2193:507] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** +[NSString stringWithUTF8String:]: NULL cString'

*** First throw call stack:

(

0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff8f27625c __exceptionPreprocess + 172

1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff92feee75 objc_exception_throw + 43

2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff8f27610c +[NSException raise:format:] + 204

3   Foundation                          0x00007fff8e48ef34 +[NSString stringWithUTF8String:] + 74

4   libgarglk.dylib                     0x0000000100048ec8 wininit + 104

5   libgarglk.dylib                     0x0000000100045e22 gli_startup + 34

6   git                                 0x000000010001609b main + 75

7   git                                 0x0000000100004d14 start + 52

)

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

./Kerkerkruip.app/Contents/MacOS/Kerkerkruip: line 3:  2193 Abort trap: 6           $CURDIR/../PlugIns/git $CURDIR/../Resources/Kerkerkruip.gblorb

I'm running it with the gblorb passed as directly the first argument.

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 30, 2015, 12:44:35 PM1/30/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to run the interpreter binaries directly in OSX, rather
> than using the launcher? When I try running git I get the following error:

You can go directly to the game through the launcher:

% open -a Gargoyle GAMEFILE.gblorb

(/usr/bin/open is part of the standard MacOS distribution, it doesn't
require developer tools to be installed.)

--Z

*

Dannii Willis

Jan 30, 2015, 6:02:45 PM1/30/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 31 January 2015 03:44:35 UTC+10, Andrew Plotkin wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:

> Hi, is it possible to run the interpreter binaries directly in OSX, rather
> than using the launcher? When I try running git I get the following error:

You can go directly to the game through the launcher:

% open -a Gargoyle GAMEFILE.gblorb

(/usr/bin/open is part of the standard MacOS distribution, it doesn't
require developer tools to be installed.)

That's what I'm doing currently, however the gargoyle process seems to stay open even after git has exited. I know there's an option for open which will start a new instance of the app even if the old one is already open, but that's a rather poor solution.

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 30, 2015, 8:27:52 PM1/30/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:

> On Saturday, 31 January 2015 03:44:35 UTC+10, Andrew Plotkin wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, is it possible to run the interpreter binaries directly in OSX,
>> rather
>>> than using the launcher? When I try running git I get the following
>> error:
>>
>> You can go directly to the game through the launcher:
>>
>> % open -a Gargoyle GAMEFILE.gblorb
>>
>> (/usr/bin/open is part of the standard MacOS distribution, it doesn't
>> require developer tools to be installed.)
>>

> That's what I'm doing currently, however the gargoyle process seems to stay
> open even after git has exited.

Is that a problem? You can open multiple games this way, sequentially or
serially.

Dannii Willis

Jan 31, 2015, 10:00:39 PM1/31/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 31 January 2015 11:27:52 UTC+10, Andrew Plotkin wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:

> That's what I'm doing currently, however the gargoyle process seems to stay
> open even after git has exited.

Is that a problem? You can open multiple games this way, sequentially or
serially.

 I'm not too familiar with the conventions of OSX, though I have noticed that when you close apps they usually stay in the dock. (Just as some windows programs keep a notification icon.) For the normal Gargoyle app that would make sense, but as I'm bundling it for a Kerkerkruip app, it doesn't seem as appropriate. It's not a big issue though. Do other non-interpreter games stay in the dock in OSX?

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 31, 2015, 10:52:15 PM1/31/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:

>> That's what I'm doing currently, however the gargoyle process seems to
>>> stay open even after git has exited.
>>
>> Is that a problem? You can open multiple games this way, sequentially or
>> serially.
>>

> I'm not too familiar with the conventions of OSX, though I have noticed
> that when you close apps they usually stay in the dock. (Just as some
> windows programs keep a notification icon.) For the normal Gargoyle app
> that would make sense, but as I'm bundling it for a Kerkerkruip app, it
> doesn't seem as appropriate.

Okay, I see what you mean. You're right, it's messy.

For viewer-style applications, the MacOS convention is that the app shuts
down when it has no windows left open. If Gargoyle did this, I think you'd
be all set. But currently it doesn't.

Christopher Armstrong

Jan 31, 2015, 11:30:19 PM1/31/15
to zgo...@eblong.com, gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 31, 2015, at 9:52 PM, Andrew Plotkin <zgo...@eblong.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:
>
>>> That's what I'm doing currently, however the gargoyle process seems to
>>>
>>> Is that a problem? You can open multiple games this way, sequentially or
>>> serially.
>>>

>> I'm not too familiar with the conventions of OSX, though I have noticed
>> that when you close apps they usually stay in the dock. (Just as some
>> windows programs keep a notification icon.) For the normal Gargoyle app
>> that would make sense, but as I'm bundling it for a Kerkerkruip app, it
>> doesn't seem as appropriate.
>
> Okay, I see what you mean. You're right, it's messy.
>
> For viewer-style applications, the MacOS convention is that the app shuts down when it has no windows left open. If Gargoyle did this, I think you'd be all set. But currently it doesn’t

Huh, Apple’s own Preview.app doesn’t do this. The only app that I can think of that does this, off the top of my head, is System Preferences.

Also, Apple’s iBooks has this exact behavior. If you open a PDF that you’ve added to your iBooks library, it opens it in Preview. Close iBooks, Preview stays open.

I’m not offering a moral judgement here, just comparing it to Apple’s own behavior, which in some ways sets the standard (for better or worse).

-radix

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 31, 2015, 11:51:47 PM1/31/15
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

>> For viewer-style applications, the MacOS convention is that the app shuts down when it has no windows left open. If Gargoyle did this, I think you'd be all set. But currently it doesn’t
>
> Huh, Apple’s own Preview.app doesn’t do this.

Yes it does. So does TextEdit.

(Not while the app is in the foreground, however. It shuts down when it's
backgrounded. And if you have Preview's inspector pane open, that counts
as a window and keeps the app live.)

Christopher Armstrong

Feb 1, 2015, 12:52:35 AM2/1/15
to zgo...@eblong.com, gargl...@googlegroups.com

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 10:51 PM, Andrew Plotkin <zgo...@eblong.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>
>>> For viewer-style applications, the MacOS convention is that the app shuts down when it has no windows left open. If Gargoyle did this, I think you'd be all set. But currently it doesn’t
>>
>> Huh, Apple’s own Preview.app doesn’t do this.
>
> Yes it does. So does TextEdit.
>
> (Not while the app is in the foreground, however. It shuts down when it's backgrounded. And if you have Preview's inspector pane open, that counts as a window and keeps the app live.)

Oh, neat! I never noticed that. Sorry for the noise. :-)

-radix

Dannii Willis

Feb 1, 2015, 4:11:34 AM2/1/15
to zgo...@eblong.com, garglk-dev
On 1 February 2015 at 13:52, Andrew Plotkin <zgo...@eblong.com> wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Dannii Willis wrote:

That's what I'm doing currently, however the gargoyle process seems to
stay open even after git has exited.

Is that a problem? You can open multiple games this way, sequentially or
serially.

I'm not too familiar with the conventions of OSX, though I have noticed
that when you close apps they usually stay in the dock. (Just as some
windows programs keep a notification icon.) For the normal Gargoyle app
that would make sense, but as I'm bundling it for a Kerkerkruip app, it
doesn't seem as appropriate.

Okay, I see what you mean. You're right, it's messy.

For viewer-style applications, the MacOS convention is that the app shuts down when it has no windows left open. If Gargoyle did this, I think you'd be all set. But currently it doesn't.

Hmm, so after trying further I'm having less success than I thought. It doesn't seem like the Gargoyle binary is set up to be run outside of its own app. Although I can launch the game, it puts this in the console:
2015-02-01 18:54:47.454 Gargoyle[6989:1103] Could not connect the action buttonPressed: to target of class NSApplication
2015-02-01 18:54:47.456 Gargoyle[6989:1103] Could not connect the action buttonPressed: to target of class NSApplication
2015-02-01 18:54:47.456 Gargoyle[6989:1103] Could not connect the action buttonPressed: to target of class NSApplication
2015-02-01 18:54:47.457 Gargoyle[6989:1103] Could not connect the action buttonPressed: to target of class NSApplication

Other issues: the game window opens at least one window back from the front. The Kerkerkruip icon remains in the doc. Opening the app again causes a second icon to stay in the doc. The icons don't do anything either.

I am now trying embedding the entirety of the Gargoyle.app inside my Kerkerkruip.app.