Building with CMake on macOS

Chris Spiegel

Aug 6, 2021, 12:02:55 PM8/6/21
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
I added CMake support to Gargoyle for Unix and Windows a few months back, keeping the Jam system in place for macOS, because I didn't have access to a macOS development environment. I recently gained access to a macOS system, and I've been able to get a Mac version of Gargoyle built via CMake as a result.

However, being that I'm largely flying blind on macOS, I'm hoping a more experienced Mac developer will be able to check my work.  A new release should be coming sooner rather than later, and it'd be nice to have a single build system for that release.

There's a branch at https://github.com/cspiegel/garglk/tree/macos-cmake-dmg with the changes.  The build method is still the same: run gargoyle_osx.sh, and that's it.

If anybody is willing/able to give feedback on this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

- Chris

Andrew Plotkin

Aug 8, 2021, 12:00:16 PM8/8/21
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021, Chris Spiegel wrote:

> I added CMake support to Gargoyle for Unix and Windows a few months back,
> keeping the Jam system in place for macOS, because I didn't have access to
> a macOS development environment. I recently gained access to a macOS
> system, and I've been able to get a Mac version of Gargoyle built via CMake
> as a result.
>
> However, being that I'm largely flying blind on macOS, I'm hoping a more
> experienced Mac developer will be able to check my work. A new release
> should be coming sooner rather than later, and it'd be nice to have a
> single build system for that release.

Your branch builds clean on my Mac (MacOS 11.5.1).

The resolution bug (https://github.com/garglk/garglk/issues/421) is now in
a funny state: the text is quarter-sized when the window opens, but
redisplays correctly if you resize the window. (This is without the "low
resolution" box checked.)

Seems like it's *almost* figuring out the correct resolution on its own,
and just needs one more tweak. But I don't know what's going on under the
covers.

--Z

*

Chris Spiegel

Aug 8, 2021, 3:56:24 PM8/8/21
to zgo...@eblong.com, gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 9:00 AM Andrew Plotkin <zgo...@eblong.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2021, Chris Spiegel wrote:
>
> > I added CMake support to Gargoyle for Unix and Windows a few months back,
> > keeping the Jam system in place for macOS, because I didn't have access to
> > a macOS development environment. I recently gained access to a macOS
> > system, and I've been able to get a Mac version of Gargoyle built via CMake
> > as a result.
> >
> > However, being that I'm largely flying blind on macOS, I'm hoping a more
> > experienced Mac developer will be able to check my work. A new release
> > should be coming sooner rather than later, and it'd be nice to have a
> > single build system for that release.
>
> Your branch builds clean on my Mac (MacOS 11.5.1).

Great, thank you for testing! I think I'll pull the gargoyle_osx.sh
script into master to "bless" CMake as the preferred build system, but
I've decided that keeping the Jam files around at least for one more
release is probably a good idea, just to be safe. In the worst case,
macOS users will still be able to build, and if all goes well, I'll
remove the Jam stuff for the following release.

> The resolution bug (https://github.com/garglk/garglk/issues/421) is now in
> a funny state: the text is quarter-sized when the window opens, but
> redisplays correctly if you resize the window. (This is without the "low
> resolution" box checked.)
>
> Seems like it's *almost* figuring out the correct resolution on its own,
> and just needs one more tweak. But I don't know what's going on under the
> covers.

I see you've made a comment on that bug report, so I'll reply with a
note there for anybody who's following that but not on this mailing
list.

- Chris