Re: Latest Gargoyle release build broken on macOS Sierra

90 views
Skip to first unread message

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Oct 13, 2016, 3:35:25 PM10/13/16
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
So we have a patch (from kerrymg). I have experimentally done a build, but
I had to rearrange the build script a *lot* to make it work on 10.12, and
the result isn't working reliably on earlier MacOS. (See thread:
http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20632&start=20 )

Who "usually" does the Mac build? (I realize it's been a while.) Are you
still set up with the same build environment?

--Z

--
"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*

Chris Spiegel

unread,
Oct 15, 2016, 6:02:26 PM10/15/16
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On 10/13/2016 12:35 PM, Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> So we have a patch (from kerrymg). I have experimentally done a build,
> but I had to rearrange the build script a *lot* to make it work on
> 10.12, and the result isn't working reliably on earlier MacOS. (See
> thread:
> http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20632&start=20 )
>
> Who "usually" does the Mac build? (I realize it's been a while.) Are you
> still set up with the same build environment?

At this point I don't think there are *any* builder roles, for any
platform; I think Ben Cressey did all the prior builds, but he is not
currently participating in development.

The current build system is Jam, which basically nobody uses. I've been
working on a tentative move to CMake; this improves things on Unix, and
I've also successfully done MinGW cross builds with it. However, I have
no experience with OS X.

I was planning on holding off till after the next release, but if
building is already a problem, CMake might make life easier on OS X; if
there is anybody experienced with OS X and CMake, the branch is
available here:

https://github.com/cspiegel/garglk/tree/cmake

This doesn't even pretend to support OS X, so all OS-specific stuff
would have to be written. It may be worth a look, though, to see if the
build is easier with CMake.

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Oct 15, 2016, 6:18:35 PM10/15/16
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016, Chris Spiegel wrote:

> On 10/13/2016 12:35 PM, Andrew Plotkin wrote:
>>
>> Who "usually" does the Mac build? (I realize it's been a while.) Are you
>> still set up with the same build environment?
>
> At this point I don't think there are *any* builder roles, for any
> platform; I think Ben Cressey did all the prior builds, but he is not
> currently participating in development.

Oookay.

I am willing to do Mac builds, if everything is sufficiently automated
that it's easy. I tried to work over the automation but I haven't gotten
it right yet.

> The current build system is Jam, which basically nobody uses.

The jam part goes smoothly on MacOS. It may be obscure but it's stable.

What I have trouble with is figuring out the right combination of build
arguments, link arguments, and post-processing (dylib relinking) to make a
binary that runs on older MacOS.

The "right" answer may be to create an Xcode project that handles the
whole build process. However, this is not a small amount of work.

Ben Cressey

unread,
Oct 16, 2016, 5:22:11 PM10/16/16
to zgo...@eblong.com, gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, October 15, 2016, Andrew Plotkin <zgo...@eblong.com> wrote:
What I have trouble with is figuring out the right combination of build arguments, link arguments, and post-processing (dylib relinking) to make a binary that runs on older MacOS.

I always had to go the other way around: builds were done on a Mac running the oldest version of OS X that could be supported.

At the time that was a G4 PowerBook running 10.4 - unusable for regular development but could produce a build in an hour or so.

I am not sure what cutoff point I would choose today - I went with 10.4 to include PPC Macs and I expect there are not many of those left.

When the PowerBook died, I planned to transition to a virtual machine running 10.5 for builds.

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Oct 17, 2016, 11:51:03 AM10/17/16
to gargl...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, Ben Cressey wrote:

> On Saturday, October 15, 2016, Andrew Plotkin <zgo...@eblong.com> wrote:
>
>> What I have trouble with is figuring out the right combination of build
>> arguments, link arguments, and post-processing (dylib relinking) to make a
>> binary that runs on older MacOS.
>
>
> I always had to go the other way around: builds were done on a Mac running
> the oldest version of OS X that could be supported.

That rather depressingly makes a lot of sense.

I have a 10.7 laptop, I'll give that a try.

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Oct 17, 2016, 10:48:04 PM10/17/16
to garglk-dev
Progress: no progress. Homebrew fails to cut it for old MacOS. I will have to try MacPorts after all. 

--Z

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Oct 23, 2016, 12:21:17 AM10/23/16
to garglk-dev
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> Progress: no progress. Homebrew fails to cut it for old MacOS. I will have
> to try MacPorts after all.

Have achieved some success, at the cost of the lives of not too many
Gungans.

http://eblong.com/zarf/tmp/gargoyle-2016-mp.mac.dmg

This should work on MacOS 10.7 and up. (Intel architecture only.) It
contains the fixes for the keyboard-input bug, and also the CoS image
fix. I also extended the INSTALL doc file to include everything I just
spent a week figuring out, so that the next poor sod has a head start. :/

If this looks good, I can set up a pull request for my test branch:
https://github.com/erkyrath/garglk/tree/buildports7

As I said, I am willing to do Mac builds for as long as my 10.7 laptop
survives.

Adam Thornton

unread,
Oct 24, 2016, 3:03:23 PM10/24/16
to zgo...@eblong.com, garglk-dev
Not killing Gungans isn't exactly a plus, you know.

Bothans, now, I feel bad for those guys.

Adam
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages