Switching from CLA to DCO and adopting REUSE

Matthias Sohn

Sep 15, 2020, 12:15:05 PM9/15/20
to gardener
Hi Gardeners,

The SAP Open Source Program Office is working on adopting external standards and best practices
wherever possible and making contributions to our open source projects as easy as possible.
Therefore, some adjustments in our repositories are ahead.

Contributors to SAP open source projects now need to accept the Developer Certificate of Origin (DCO)
which was defined by the Linux Foundation instead of the former corporate and individual
SAP Contributor License Agreement (CLA).

If you accepted the CLA earlier the CLA-Assistant bot will ask you to accept the DCO when you
create your next pull request for Gardener.

In addition we are going to adopt REUSE from FSFE to declare license and copyright information
in a machine-readable format. This step will take a while since Gardener has 80 repositories which
need to be adapted.

The project copyright statement will be changed from
Copyright (c) <year> SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved.
Copyright: <year> SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company and Gardener contributors
in order to give credit to contributors not employed by SAP.

-Matthias