short-form boolean option 'password' deprecated Please use password=on instead

Juan Rosario

Apr 5, 2023, 10:42:15 AM4/5/23
to ganeti
Hi all - I am currently facing a weird issue starting an instance on a new cluster and will appreciate any help you can provide. Here are some details and please let me know if you need more.

Cluster A and Cluster B are running software version: 3.0.2
This error does not happen for every instance. Some instances are starting fine after migrating them
When I run `gnt-instance startup instance_name` on Cluster B I get the following error:

************************************
*
*  Hypervisor error: Failed to start instance instance_name: exited with
*  exit code 1 (kvm: -vnc :5126,password: warning: short-form boolean option 'password' *  deprecated Please use password=on instead
*
************************************
Thanks in advance

Juan Rosario

Apr 5, 2023, 4:18:36 PM4/5/23
to ganeti
I forgot to mention the OS on all nodes are  Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Sascha Lucas

Apr 6, 2023, 1:40:23 AM4/6/23
to gan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:18:36 -0700 (PDT)
Juan Rosario <ju...@quantifind.com> wrote:

> I forgot to mention the OS on all nodes are Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

I assume Cluster A runs an older OS/qemu version than Cluster B with
22.04?
However this is just a deprecation warning and not the actual
problem/error. Please take a look in the log on the primary
node of the instance in /var/log/ganeti/kvm/instance_name.log.

Also it would be helpful to post all hypervisor parameters from
gnt-instance info.

Thanks, Sascha.

Juan Rosario

Apr 7, 2023, 11:22:40 AM4/7/23
to gan...@googlegroups.com
Sascha - Thanks for the reply. Using `gnt-instance info <instance_name>`, I noticed a difference between the output of the VM that successfully started and those that didn't. Also, this is the output from the /var/log/ganeti/kvm/instance_name.log file.

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.fma [bit 12]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.movbe [bit 22]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.f16c [bit 29]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.rdrand [bit 30]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.fsgsbase [bit 0]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.bmi1 [bit 3]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.avx2 [bit 5]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.smep [bit 7]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.bmi2 [bit 8]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.erms [bit 9]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.invpcid [bit 10]

* kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:ECX.abm [bit 5]

* kvm: Host doesn't support requested features

Juan Rosario

Apr 7, 2023, 11:50:28 AM4/7/23
to gan...@googlegroups.com
Also - I forgot to mention that I  verified the QEMU version on all nodes, and it is the same.

* QEMU emulator version 6.2.0 (Debian 1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6.6)
* Copyright (c) 2003-2021 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers