error: not xen image / you need to load the kernel first

CamZie

Jul 31, 2023, 8:55:06 AM7/31/23
to gan...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We are having problems booting Ubuntu 20.04 installation with the newest kernel "5.4.0-155-generic" on our Ganeti (Xen) server.

We get the following error message everytime we boot the newest kernel:

       error: not xen image.
       error: you need to load the kernel first.

Using an older kernel "4.15.0-20-generic" works fine.

Ganeti server:

  • OS: Debian 11.7
  • Ganeti version: 3.0.2-1~deb11u1
  • Xen Hypervisor: 4.14.5+94-ge49571868d-1
Does anyone experience the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

CamZie

Aug 22, 2023, 4:25:26 AM8/22/23
to gan...@googlegroups.com
I found the following issue with Ubuntu 20.04 for lz4 compressed kernels. After manually extracting the kernel as suggested here I could now successfully boot with the new kernel:

I am not sure why it does not extract the kernel automatically as it does on our other VPS. Is it possible that Ubuntu 20.04 or lz4 kernels are not supported with our Ganeti / Xen version?