preparing docs for 3.0

Sascha Lucas

Jun 28, 2020, 3:17:28 PM6/28/20
to ganeti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've prepared an example github page[1] showing the current state of
docs.ganeti.org. The corresponding repo is [2] forked from [3]. Please
take a look, feedback is highly appreciated. The repo contains missing
sphinx conf + extensions and as an example the current docs + manpages
from v3.0.0beta1.

Whats not working ATM:
* Ganeti 3.0 doc: style sheet seems not applied/missing
* building API doc:
- Haskell seems to work, but ends with: "haddock: Unable to find a
package providing module AutoConf, skipping Hoogle."
- Python is broken:

+---------------------------------------------------------------------
| File /tmp/gntbuild.rbmdbLNU/ganeti/cmdlib/instance_migration.py,
| line 603, in
| ganeti.cmdlib.instance_migration.TLMigrateInstance._FindInstanceLocations
| Warning: Lines 606, 609: Improper paragraph indentation.

[..............................
Warning: No information available for
UNEXPECTED ERROR:
iteration over non-sequence

Use --debug to see trace information.
make: *** [Makefile:5090: py-apidoc] Error 3

Any ideas? Thanks, Sascha.

[1] https://saschalucas.github.io/docs/
[2] https://github.com/saschalucas/docs
[3] https://github.com/ganeti/docs

Rudolph Bott

Jun 29, 2020, 2:25:28 AM6/29/20
to Sascha Lucas, ganeti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sascha,

thanks for looking into this. I had a quick shot at the missing layout and it looks like this file is missing:

It gets included by style.css in the same folder (which in turn is used by the HTML files). I have not yet looked at the code where that file might come from. The header of this file from the 2.16 docs states this:

/*
 * default.css_t
 * ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 *
 * Sphinx stylesheet -- default theme.
 *
 * :copyright: Copyright 2007-2011 by the Sphinx team, see AUTHORS.
 * :license: BSD, see LICENSE for details.
 *
 */

Cheers,
Rudi

 Rudolph Bott - bo...@sipgate.de

 sipgate GmbH - Gladbacher Str. 74 - 40219 Düsseldorf
 HRB Düsseldorf 39841 - Geschäftsführer: Thilo Salmon, Tim Mois
 Steuernummer: 106/5724/7147, Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE219349391

Sascha Lucas

Jun 29, 2020, 11:42:31 AM6/29/20
to ganeti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudi,

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, Rudolph Bott wrote:

> it looks like this file is missing:
>
> https://saschalucas.github.io/docs/ganeti/3.0/html/_static/default.css
>
> It gets included by style.css in the same folder (which in turn is used by
> the HTML files). I have not yet looked at the code where that file might
> come from. The header of this file from the 2.16 docs states this:

Ah, Thanks. It is fixed in the gh-page now. But now there is an other
disturbance: https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/4246. All Sphinx
themes are now limited to a width of 800px (I assume to be compatible
with my 90th SVGA display :-) ).

The root cause is that style.css comes with Ganeti code and includes
default.css.

In Makefile.am the Sphinx theme is set to default/classic depending on the
Sphinx version (classic will be default on >=1.3, BTW: default includes
classic). However this style.css does not make any differentiation.

For the moment I removed custom CSS from Sphinx conf.py. Probably will
submit a PR therefore.

Thanks, Sascha.