[sfconsim-l] What is a Starship?

Abrigon Gusiq

May 13, 2009, 6:45:05 AM5/13/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
In view of that prolonged discussion as to whether the "Firefly" is, or is not, a 'Starship', I think a discussion is in order, as to just what a 'Starship' is! Do, I invite everyone to give your definition of what a 'Starship' actually is.

IN 'wet' navies, a vessel is considered a 'boat', if it is/can be carried by another vessel; and a 'ship', if is not.[in slang, submarines are an exception - they're called 'pigboats'(anyone know where that came from?)]. So, I would say that vessels built for extended trips-with living quatrers, and 'extended life support'[like waste treatment/recycling], would be a ship. And anything without, a boat.

And as for the first part of teh compound word, all one need ask, is it intended for interstellar travel? If yes,than it's aStarship[I suppose one could have a Star Boat...a warp shuttle, for instance, or a Hyperspace capable X-wing fighter]. If it's not intended for that type of travel, than it's a spaceship[or boat].

Since Wedon's vessel apparently could travel FTL, and was intended for extended voyages, it qualifies as a Starship, by my definition.

OK,now i throw the floor open for discussion.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:sfconsim...@yahoogroups.com
mailto:sfconsim-l-...@yahoogroups.com

sfconsim-l-...@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Abrigon Gusiq

May 13, 2009, 9:26:18 AM5/13/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
--- In sfcon...@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Finkelstein" <finkron@...> wrote:

> Since Wedon's vessel apparently could travel FTL, and was intended for extended voyages, it qualifies as a Starship, by my definition.
>

> OK,now i throw the floor open for discussion.

Actually, Serenity could not travel FTL. The Firefly 'verse' was all in a single solar system that had multiple terraformed planets.