[Dredd] Membership

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:27:35 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I'm fairly new to this group (have been a member for a while but not been active until recently). The site has us down as 300+ members, do we have any idea how many of us are still active? Everyone in the house go YO!!!
At the end of the day I want Dredd to be popular - do I need to recruit? Do we (who ever is left) need to recruit? Would I be right in thinking that Doc TOC created this site? Where are you Doc - point us in the right direction...
Mr. Caliber, I consider you a saviour for the Dredd mythos to continue - we may need your help. How can we spread the word of Dredd? Why, oh why oh why do the general public like these American DC/Marvel publications so much? Is it something our lads should be tapping into?

-Ivan (feeling a little bit grumpy right now)

Shortcut URL to this page:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Dredd-...@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Dredd-ful...@yahoogroups.com

Dredd-un...@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:27:39 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Er...YO!

Is that what you ment

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:28:43 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hello There,

We just have to become acclimatized to the fact that 'Dredd RPG' is not very popular... it's fondly remembered, but very infrequently played on anything like a significant scale... would it be accurate to say that 'Dredd' boardgames such as 'Block Mania' and 'Gangs of MC1' are more popular than the RPGs?

This group used to have around six-hundred members, but I only recall around a couple dozen actively posting - today, at half that number, the ratio of posters to lurkers (or absentees) is about the same. There's no major, non-partisan venue for Dredd RPG discussion. I did try to establish another board, but the responsibility of managing it soon became too great, at a time when my interest in the game was rapidly swindling.

All I can do is produce some fanzines and rely on readers to 'Spread the Word'! Maybe my non-rpg encyclopedias will pull in some punters?

In the end it's what you make it. I used to say that we are so few that every single one of us needs to do the work of twenty players in promoting 'Dredd RPG', but it's never happened - I end up shouldering the burden and become miserable. I've since accepted Dredd's fate and instead rely on other, original projects to get worked up about :)

Saying that, the 'Dredd' books I do publish will be far and away better than 'Drokk City'. I could accelerate their releases substantially with outside help (it's not fun trying to write with perpetually-active, severe Crohn's Disease), but I've never met another genuine 'Dredd RPG' fan who is prepared to produce many pages of professional level work at speed for free (who won't use me as a stepping stone to get work elsewhere); not saying they don't exist, but where are they?

Anyway, far as I'm concerned, there's some good, unofficial Dredd pdfs on the way - that's my corner of the ring sorted out :)

Best,
- John

I'm fairly new to this group (have been a member for a while but not been active until recently). The site has us down as 300+ members, do we have any idea how many of us are still active? Everyone in the house go YO!!!
At the end of the day I want Dredd to be popular - do I need to recruit? Do we (who ever is left) need to recruit? Would I be right in thinking that Doc TOC created this site? Where are you Doc - point us in the right direction...
Mr. Caliber, I consider you a saviour for the Dredd mythos to continue - we may need your help. How can we spread the word of Dredd? Why, oh why oh why do the general public like these American DC/Marvel publications so much? Is it something our lads should be tapping into?

-Ivan (feeling a little bit grumpy right now)

------------------------------------

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:28:55 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
Possibly the first post for me here (if I've posted before it was so long ago I've forgotten). I'd be willing to contribute some time to John's projects, both artwork and writing. I sent John some of my artwork many years ago (if he had any sense it'd be in the virtual bin by now) and too many years ago to remember I had some work published by GW in the JD Companion. Somewhere lurking in my loft (and about 20 years out of date) are the first drafts of what GW were going publish as the first in a series of sourcebooks for their RPG (Cursed Earth). So the offer of help's there.

Mick

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:29:45 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mick,

Don't know if you got a recent e-mail I sent out to yourself, but I'm only too happy to have keen writers/artists on board. Any chance of us taking a gander at the GW Cursed Earth s/b drafts, or are there copyright issues?

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:30:09 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,
No, I didn't get your reply, maybe it got caught up in my spam filters and redirected to the trash. There shouldn't be any copyright problems as this stuff was never sent to GW- they pulled the plug on the game just as I was getting it into shape to send off.

Don't know if you got a recent e-mail I sent out to yourself, but I'm only too happy to have keen writers/artists on board. Any chance of us taking a gander at the GW Cursed Earth s/b drafts, or are there copyright issues?

Best,
- John

May 10, 2009, 3:30:16 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

Yeah, basically the e-mail just said I'd very much welcome your input creatively, blah-blah blah :).

Just to clarify, was your Cursed Earth material a sourcebook for the GW JDRPG, or a spin-off like 'Block Mania'? I understood GW was also going to produce a Strontium Dog RPG, but the JDRPG's poor sales squelched it?

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:30:28 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Yo!

I haven't posted in a long time. I liked the comics as a teenager, but as a
big rpg fan, I never rpg'd or gm'd the world. I even tried to write an
online comic a few years ago which was briefly online. I'm still writing
that in my head. The artist I had tells me its not really set in Mega City
One. I see it as being set in the gutters between the city blocks. Its on my
one day list. I'm not a person who can write guide books at all.

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM, MICHAEL MCGOVERN
<m.mcg...@btinternet.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
> Possibly the first post for me here (if I've posted before it was so long
> ago I've forgotten). I'd be willing to contribute some time to John's
> projects, both artwork and writing. I sent John some of my artwork many
> years ago (if he had any sense it'd be in the virtual bin by now) and too
> many years ago to remember I had some work published by GW in the JD
> Companion. Somewhere lurking in my loft (and about 20 years out of date) are
> the first drafts of what GW were going publish as the first in a series of
> sourcebooks for their RPG (Cursed Earth). So the offer of help's there.
>
> Mick
>

> --- On Fri, 8/5/09, John Caliber <j.ca...@ntlworld.com<j.caliber%40ntlworld.com>>

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:30:30 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
It was a sourcebook for the RPG, well they had two planned, but I only drafted up material for the first one- it was generic information about the state of the Cursed Earth (circa 1987 I think) and the second sourcebook, probably written by someone else, would have a campaign and solo adventures. If memory serves, they had a few sourcebooks in the pipeline, none of which ever saw the light of day. In the one meeting I had with Marc Gascoigne he did mention the SD RPG- he intimated that it would go ahead if sales of the JDRPG were strong enough- alas they weren't.

From: John Caliber <j.caliber@ntlworld . com>

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:36:25 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear about your guts mate. I've started working on a fairly extensive Dredd 'encyclopedia', your more than welcome to take anything you want from it. If I can be of any assistance in any other way please let me know.

Thanks to Kevin, Michael and Tadeusz for making yourselves known - anyone else out there prepared to give us a YO!

Regards

-Ivan

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:37:32 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Im working on something similar.

Steve

[...]

Abrigon Gusiq

May 10, 2009, 3:42:41 PM5/10/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ivan,

My own encyclopedias are shockingly detailed, so I don't imagine I need outside help with them (other than artwork) - but thank you for the offer!

Abrigon Gusiq

May 13, 2009, 4:54:28 PM5/13/09
to gaming-...@googlegroups.com
YO!!!

Although I have been a member of this group for a while I haven't posted on here before. I am a member of a wargames/role playing group from York in the UK and although we have many members (approx 30) in several groups on a role playing night,few club members have an interest in Judge Dredd/2000AD making it hard to run a game. They all seem to think Dredd is all about "Halt in the name of the law!" blam,blam,blam,then sentencing the perps. Anyway,I big HI to everybody on the group and thanks to John Caliber for Drokk City and for getting people using this group again in the last few weeks.