VerbCorner: Phase Three Launched!

Games With Words

Apr 16, 2014, 11:36:02 AM4/16/14
to gameswi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

Due to a sudden surge of participation over the weekend, phase two of VerbCorner, our project to crowd-source the structure of language, meaning, & thought, was completed ahead of schedule. There was a mad scramble to get phase three up and running. As of around 1 am today, it is live.

This is a nice kind of problem to have.

To remind you, the VerbCorner project is massive -- many, many times larger than all previous studies on the topic combined. To keep this manageable, we divided the project up into a series of phases. Phase 1 looked at six different components of meaning for 641 verbs. Phase 2 added 427 new verbs and another component of meaning.

In Phase 3, we added about 400 more verbs (I haven't counted yet, so I can't be sure). However, these are particularly tricky verbs, so it actually works out to be more total work than Phase 1 was.

Many thanks to everyone who has been participating. I hope to see you back on the site soon, and on the forum.

Joshua Hartshorne
GamesWithWords.org
& The Computational Cognitive Science Group @ MIT