New experiment and some news

Joshua Hartshorne

Feb 6, 2009, 6:01:33 PM2/6/09
to cogla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

First, I want to thank everybody for participating in my experiments over the last two years. As I prepare for a talk I am giving on Monday, I realize just how much would not have been possible without the Web experiments...and of course without the Web participants!

Experiment
I have a final experiment I am trying to fit into this talk. This experiment is for Native English Speakers who are 18 years of age or older. It is posted at http://coglanglab.org/HeartTrials. It is a pretty entertaining game in which you decide whether characters in stories are "guilty" of having caused an emotion in another person. As participants in the Dax Task know, I have been working on emotion words lately. In the lab, this experiment was taking people 10-15 minutes, so it's a little longer than my typical experiments. If you have time to do this over the weekend, please do. Many thanks.

News
First, I have a brief article running on the Scientific American website.

Second, I may have mentioned that the Birth Order Study is in press with the Journal of Individual Psychology. I expect it to be in print this summer (yes, the process is long). At risk of spoiling my upcoming press release, the short story is that yes, people are more likely to associate with other people of a similar birth order. That is, married couples have similar birth orders, as do un-married couples. Best friends may also show this effect. The effect is not gigantic, but it is there. My proposed explanation is that this is because birth order affects personality, and people of similar personalities tend to associate with one another, but I am sure some good counter-hypotheses will emerge. More on that later.

Best regards,
Joshua Hartshorne

Try my Web-based experiments in language and cognition at

http://coglanglab.org