New experiment at GamesWithWords.org

Joshua Hartshorne

Oct 31, 2012, 3:41:28 PM10/31/12
to gameswi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

In case you haven't seen it yet, I'd like to point you to our new experiment, Finding Explanations. This one is a follow-up to the work that was in our most recent paper, which I discussed in the last email. Although not discussed in that paper, something we noticed in the data in that paper and from our current Pronoun Sleuth experiment was that people have strong intuitions about the kinds of explanations that are relevant to a particular event. At least, that's what the data look like, but those experiments weren't designed to test people's intuitions about different kinds of explanations.

That's about all I can tell you until after the experiment is run so as not to bias your results. We need about 1,000 participants for this experiment. There were over 500 folks on this email list last time I checked, so we could actually finish this experiment relatively quickly if everyone participants. Many thanks for your help.

Again, you can find the experiment here: http://www.gameswithwords.org/FindingExplanations/index.html

Best,
Joshua Hartshorne
GamesWithWords.org
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, MIT