News from the Cognition and Language Lab

Joshua Hartshorne

Dec 16, 2009, 11:04:36 AM12/16/09
to cogla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

Some of you may have already noticed big changes at the Cognition and Language Lab, starting with the name. We are now called Games with Words and can be found at gameswithwords.org. The name change was part of a broader effort to make the site more interesting and interactive. You can read more about it in this post on our blog (which you'll see has also changed).

Because of the change in name, there is also a new Google Group (gameswi...@googlegroups.com). Over the next few weeks, I'll be rolling all subscriptions over to the new list, so you'll see yourself unsubscribed from coglanglab and added to gameswithwords. Depending on how Google reacts, this may or may not require you confirming this switch.

Finally, I'd like to announce two new games:

Puntastic! What makes puns funny? We'd like to know. Read puns and decide which ones are the best.

Pronoun Sleuth. George Washington always refers to George Washington. He can refer to any male. How good are you at figuring out what pronouns mean?

I do have results from a couple studies that I am going to post early in the New Year. I was going to have data from a third study, but I just got back reviews for the paper making it clear that we need to run another follow-up study on the website. As usual, I try to not talk about the purpose of a study until all data are collected, so as to avoid contaminating the results.

Best,
Josh Hartshorne

Try my Web-based experiments at gameswithwords.org