New experiment: Word Sense

Joshua Hartshorne

Oct 13, 2008, 9:43:33 AM10/13/08
to cogla...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Hopefully I'll have some news on the publishing front soon. We have two papers under review, and with any luck, at least one will be accepted on this round.

In the meantime, I've posted a new experiment: Word Sense.

While we tend to focus on children's acquisition of language, the truth is that even adults must deal with new vocabulary. You typically see estimates of about 500,000 words in Englihs, but only 60,000 in the adult vocabulary. So, at least on occasion, you are likely to run across a word you don't know. It turns out we can often figure out the meaning of the word based on related words or word roots.

This new expeirment will hopefully help us better understand this process. If you have 5 minutes, please participate: http://coglanglab.org/WordSense. You can also read more about this experiment on the blog.

Best,
Josh Hartshorne

Try my Web-based experiments in language and cognition at

http://coglanglab.org