Mindfulness/meditation in VR Recommendations

Ella Laine Roche

Jul 8, 2021, 8:40:54 AM7/8/21
to Games for Change
Hi, I am looking for any resources/papers/insights on the theme of mindfulness/meditation in VR. Specifically any medical research studies or games backed by professionals within this area of study. Thank you!

Amiad Fredman

Jul 14, 2021, 10:13:29 AM7/14/21
to Ella Laine Roche, Games for Change
Hi Ella,

I have a lot of experience in biofeedback and VR and can help point you in the right direction. Happy to connect.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021, 7:40 AM Ella Laine Roche <ero...@artic.edu> wrote:
Hi, I am looking for any resources/papers/insights on the theme of mindfulness/meditation in VR. Specifically any medical research studies or games backed by professionals within this area of study. Thank you!

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gamesforchange/c60ed3f6-e13b-4068-9552-40c915ac74ecn%40googlegroups.com.

Maria Clara Mesa

Jul 14, 2021, 10:13:31 AM7/14/21
to Ella Laine Roche, Games for Change
Hi Ella,

My company, Alternova, develops a bunch of these types of games for institutions like UCSF (Neuroscape) and MIT.

Here is the description of some of the games with some papers as well. Hope it helps =)

1. ACE:  An engaging, interactive mobile cognitive assessment tool that evaluates multiple dimensions of cognitive control quickly and without ceiling or floor effects. The tasks in ACE are standard tests that assess different aspects of cognitive control (attention, working memory, and goal management), modified by incorporating adaptive algorithms, immersive graphics, video tutorials, motivating feedback, and a user-friendly interface. Video.

Scientific papers:
Video games, cognitive exercises, and the enhancement of cognitive abilities, Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences

The Influence of Perceptual Training on Working Memory in Older Adults

2. Rhythmicity: tablet-based game designed to assess sensorimotor synchronization ability with auditory, visual, and/or tactile stimuli. Rhythmicity demonstrates high test-retest reliability and has been used by people across the lifespan from ages 8 to 80. Video.

Scientific papers:
Temporal attention is not affected by working memory load

Multimodal Sensory Integration: Diminishing Returns in Rhythmic Synchronization

3. Meditrain:  integrates the principles of concentrative meditation with the video game mechanics of adaptivity and feedback to create a powerful cognitive training game. Tablet-based, meditation-inspired, cognitive training game aimed at improving self-regulation of internal attention and distractions.

Scientific papers:

Closed-loop digital meditation improves sustained attention in young adults

Closed-loop digital meditation for neurocognitive and behavioral development in adolescents with childhood neglect

“Could Video Game Technology Solve the Global Cognition Crisis?” – with Adam Gazzaley, MD, PhD https://wisdomlabs.com/podcast/adam-gazzaley/ Min 35

4. Labyrinth: A unique virtual reality gaming platform (there is also a tablet version) designed to improve spatial wayfinding and broader cognitive capabilities. This sort of environmental enrichment vitalizes brain networks that enable learning, which more broadly enhance capabilities in higher cognition. Aimed at detecting early signals of Alzheimer's and dementia.

Scientific paper:

Virtual reality video game improves high-fidelity memory in older adults

5. Apprise: Application for Readiness in Schools and Learning Evaluation. Fun, universal screener that assesses school readiness and dyslexia risk in young learners of ages 4-8 in the form of a gamified open-source mobile app. Measures a range of literacy and cognitive skills.

Scientific papers:
https://dyslexia.ucsf.edu/content/iscreener-preschoolers-kindergartners

https://today.uconn.edu/2020/11/identifying-dyslexia-early/
https://escholarship.org/content/qt4vx3d7v1/qt4vx3d7v1.pdf