Breathwork Mechanics and Interactivity

Ella Laine Roche

Sep 17, 2021, 10:38:26 AM9/17/21
to Games for Change
Hello all, I am doing currently researching for The Verse (formerly BardoVR) and looking for helpful resources / game mechanics / scientific and medical studies related to the use of breath and breathwork. Would love to connect with anyone who has links to resources or experience working with breath measurement and regulation in games! thanks

Gano Haine

Sep 17, 2021, 11:50:56 AM9/17/21
to Ella Laine Roche, Games for Change
Years ago, there was a highly experimental game that was driven, in part, by breath.  I think it sold with a pulse meter. It was a mystical setting and I believe the developer lived in Colorado.  Can anyone fill in what it was? I will ask an industry friend who I played it with if he remembers.  This is not obviously a recent ref (I mean at least 20 years ago) but is interesting historically.  You might want to contact Posit Science. They work more in the neuroscience area but could be a good resource. You can PM me if you want to know more.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 17, 2021, at 8:38 AM, Ella Laine Roche <ero...@artic.edu> wrote:

Hello all, I am doing currently researching for The Verse (formerly BardoVR) and looking for helpful resources / game mechanics / scientific and medical studies related to the use of breath and breathwork. Would love to connect with anyone who has links to resources or experience working with breath measurement and regulation in games! thanks

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gamesforchange/3c4a82c2-fe11-413e-ae1a-f48e20da145dn%40googlegroups.com.

David Gagnon

Sep 20, 2021, 10:29:44 AM9/20/21
to Ella Laine Roche, Games for Change
See https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-53393-x for one project and related study.

--
David Gagnon
Field Day Lab

On Sep 15, 2021, at 8:21 PM, Ella Laine Roche <ero...@artic.edu> wrote:

Hello all, I am doing currently researching for The Verse (formerly BardoVR) and looking for helpful resources / game mechanics / scientific and medical studies related to the use of breath and breathwork. Would love to connect with anyone who has links to resources or experience working with breath measurement and regulation in games! thanks

Eric Zimmerman

Sep 20, 2021, 10:29:51 AM9/20/21
to Games for Change
Perhaps you are thinking of Leela, for the Kinect?
There was a mode where the game tracked your breathing.
-eric

--
eric zimmerman

game designer

Fullerton, Tracy

Sep 20, 2021, 12:12:56 PM9/20/21
to Games for Change
I actually think you may be thinking of the Wild Divine. It came with its own biofeedback device. In a weird coincidence, I have a copy in my office … :)

Best,
Tracy

Staples, Cary

Sep 20, 2021, 12:20:47 PM9/20/21
to Fullerton, Tracy, Games for Change
At the XR Brain Jam this summer, there were two "breath" based experiences.
  • Breath Garden
  • Breathsync
I think you can contact the teams via their Itch.io sites...

Good luck:
Metahumans Explore! Is Our Earth Thriving? marcdubeau. MURMUR NATION
Cary

Sep 20, 2021, 1:14:13 PM9/20/21
to Staples, Cary, Fullerton, Tracy, Games for Change
I was on the BreathSync team if anyone needs to get in touch with us!
~Mercedes Hesselroth

Zach Nicely

Sep 20, 2021, 1:14:16 PM9/20/21
to Ella Laine Roche, Games for Change
Hi!

The game Celeste incorporates the concept of breath in certain parts of the game. The main character is taught a technique to stave off panic attacks by imagining a feather floating, and focusing on keeping it afloat with deep breaths. It requires the player to move their joystick (depending on their setup) up and down at the pace of deep breathing patterns to keep the feather afloat:

Hope this is useful!
Zach

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 10:38 AM Ella Laine Roche <ero...@artic.edu> wrote:
[...]

Zach Nicely, Artistic Director

M.M Western Michigan University, Music Performance 2019
B.M. James Madison University, Music Education 2017

Fullerton, Tracy

Sep 20, 2021, 1:57:21 PM9/20/21
to Zach Nicely, Ella Laine Roche, Games for Change
Just to add to the growing list: the “What I Lived For” module of Walden, a game EDU also has a breathing mechanic. Players are encouraged to stop and breath deeply along with Thoreau on a mindful walk around the pond. You can find the beta version here including curriculum: https://www.waldengame.com/info-what-i-lived-for

If you’d like to play the beta, please reach out to uscgameinn...@gmail.com for a password.

Best,
Tracy

amyl...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 10:28:18 AM9/22/21
to Games for Change
I was also thinking about The Journey to Wild Divine because I have a copy in my lab :)

They seem to be specialized in this type of game development.

Good luck!

Amy

Amy S. Lu, PhD

Associate Professor