A Thousand Cuts: a game about Title IX and Consent for April's Awareness Month

Drew Crecente

Apr 7, 2022, 12:46:37 PM4/7/22
to Games for Change
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)
We encourage everybody to play & share our many games about consent during this important Awareness Month.

We are also excited to share this new game created by writer and game designer Elizabeth Ballou: A Thousand Cuts. Below is more information about A Thousand Cuts and links to play the game in your browser and also to the companion website to learn more about Title IX and about consent.

Educators and Title IX Coordinators feel free to reach out to us if you would like to talk about developing resources around this innovative new game or our other consent games.

Here is a link to our collection of consent games on itchio:

Please note that some of our consent games have content warnings; others are appropriate for all ages.

About A Thousand Cuts

A-Thousand-Cuts_game-banner_itchio_960x400.png

A Thousand Cuts ("ATC") is a provocative, thoughtful, texting game created by writer and game designer Elizabeth Ballou.

This early edition version was a winning game in the 13th Annual Life.Love. Game Design Challenge presented by Jennifer Ann's Group.

ATC explores how campus culture impacts a pair of university students, Rosa and Olivia, going through their school's Title IX process after they realize they've been assaulted by the same man. This narrative-driven game has been praised for its "great story" and "excellent writing."

One reviewer admitted: "This was an emotional ride, and I got a little nervous during parts of it ..."

ATC allows the player to safely experience the Title IX process and see how Rosa, Olivia, and their friends are affected.

A Thousand Cuts Information and Links

ATC can be played online in your web browser by visiting:

https://jag.itch.io/a-thousand-cuts-early-edition.

For much more information about Title IX and consent -- as well as helpline numbers and other resources -- please visit the ATC companion website at:

Content Warning: this game contains descriptions of sexual violence.

A Thousand Cuts Screenshots

ATC_Screenshot_Feb-2_01.pngATC_Screenshot_Feb-2_02.pngATC_Screenshot_Feb-2_03.png

- - -

A Thousand Cuts and the other consent games come from our Gaming Against Violence Program, a Top 50 Innovator, and is brought to you by the nonprofit organization Jennifer Ann's Group.