Self intro- let's chat! Game Design for Climate

Felix Knight

Jun 14, 2021, 4:33:40 PM6/14/21
to Games for Change
Hi all, my name is Felix, I'm a recent graduate from DigiPen in Redmond with a BA in Game Design.

Little rambly here, but I hope this adequately explains what I want to accomplish so I can find some common goals with you all!

I joined this group looking for other folks who are trying to make climate-focused games: I think this is the most critical issue our world faces now, and I'm hopeful that we can use games and other art to drive people to act. However, the time we have to fix our climate is extremely short, and the U.S. government has been uncooperative about passing climate legislation for decades. The kind of game that could massively change people's actions regarding climate just isn't something I've seen, but I really hope the potential for it exists.

I would love to work on this kind of game, but feel like a close working relationship with scientists and politicians / political activists would be a necessity to effectively drive behavioral change. This seems extremely unlikely for me to accomplish in the near future, and time is of the essence, so I'm looking at working full time as a wind turbine technician and trying to figure this out on the side.

Some questions for you!

  • Do I have to wait some time before replying to people's threads? Doesn't seem I can do so right now...
  • Are you working on a project like this? (...are you hiring?)
  • Are there any great projects out there achieving this kind of behavioral change? Is that even what the goal should be to reverse global warming?
  • Are people in these different fields- media, science, politics, etc, connecting to create more effective games for driving change? Doesn't seem like a big thing for major commercial titles (that are arguably more "just for entertainment"), but perhaps these kinds of teams are making less-known projects and will grow in the future?
  • Are you working on something adjacent? Link! I want to see!
Excited to hear from some of you! Have an awesome day and take care!