moving between computers

Jochen Albrecht

Aug 1, 2021, 9:40:22 PM8/1/21
to GAMA
After installing GAMA on a more powerful Linux computer, I am trying to use the models I created on my Windows machine (where they still run fine). However, when I try to import the workspace or project folders, GAMA says that "No projects are found to import".
Similarly, when I try to switch workspaces, I get the prompt that the directory exists but is not identified as a GAMA workspace. The same message appears when I move up or down the folder hierarchy. In other words, nothing in my mirrored folder structure is recognized as either a workspace or a project.
And when I try to just open a model (within the same folder structure of models, includes, etc., as on my Windows machine), I get an endless hour glass Waiting...
What am I missing here?
Cheers,
     Jochen

Irina Pushkina

Aug 3, 2021, 3:47:42 PM8/3/21
to GAMA
Hi Jochen,

try to copy the folder one level higher. That one normally includes the hidden files like meta-data and information about the project structure. If those files are not copied, Gama will not recognise the structure as a workspace or a GAMA project.

Regards,
Irina

Jochen Albrecht

Aug 3, 2021, 3:58:44 PM8/3/21
to gama-p...@googlegroups.com

I tried that, Irina. I copied the whole directory hierarchy all the way up to GAMA.
And I then tried to import/switch workspaces/projects at each level.
All with the results described in my initial post.
Cheers,
     Jochen

Alexis DROGOUL

Aug 3, 2021, 9:48:37 PM8/3/21
to GAMA
Hi,

Irina is probably right: the problem comes from the metadata present in hidden folders (within the workspace) and hidden files (.project files, within a project). Have you tried zipping the whole workspace (using the appropriate flags for keeping hidden files) and unzipping it in your new computer ? Another solution (albeit a bit weird) could be to share your workspace between the two machines in a GitHub repository (or any git server at your disposal for that matter).

Cheers
Alexis