The relation of Passphrases to Private Keys

1 view

Aaron Hastings

May 29, 2012, 10:01:41 AM5/29/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com, 091labs-public
Hi all,

Posting once again to both lists as I figure this is of interest to either party. This is another one about encryption.

I'm curious about the relationship between a passphrase and a private key when it comes to GPG/PGP encryption. Does a passphrase affect a private key's eventual value when creating said key, or are the two completely separate? I know that, with GnuPG on Linux, the output asks the user to perform various tasks (disk I/O, mouse movements, etc.) to guarantee ultimate "randomness" during the generation process, but is the chosen passphrase also tied into the generation algorithm?

Further to that, when it comes to selecting a new passphrase down the road - is it better practise to delete the existing key and generate a new one with a different passphrase (after ensuring the existing key is no longer needed, of course), or to just edit the passphrase using: gpg --edit-key?

This whole field is new to me and it's evident that even the slightest slip of the mind or lapse of judgement can compromise your entire efforts.

Aaron