Moving gallery to new web host

chucks2

Jan 8, 2023, 8:13:39 PM1/8/23
to Gallery 3 Users
Hello,

I have a gallery with 13 albums (2058 items total). I believe it's using Gallery 2.3. I need to move to a new web hosting company. I believe that means using Gallery 3.1.5. I'd really like to retain my view counts and album creation dates, but I suspect that it's not worth the effort. I want to make this migration as easy as possible.

Is the easiest way to migrate to do the following?
1. Ask my web hosting company to install  Gallery 3.1.5 (from https://galleryrevival.com/).
2. Create each album and upload photos for each album.
3. Keep my old gallery 2.3 live until I'm happy with the new gallery 3.1.5.

is there anything more than that this I need to know?

Thanks,
Chuck

Harold Hallikainen

Jan 8, 2023, 8:23:09 PM1/8/23
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
I think migration to a new server can be quite a bit simpler. Here are the
notes I made in November 2021 on migration from Gallery2 on one server to
Gallery3 on another.

Good luck!

Harold

Thanks for keeping Gallery 3 alive! I have been using Gallery 2 for a LONG
time. As I move to a more current server (running AlmaLinux), I find that
it would be very difficult to move Gallery 2 over. So, time for Gallery3.

The Gallery3 installation is MUCH simpler than I remember for Gallery2.
It's really nice! I did run a multisite version of Gallery2, but
individual copies of Gallery3 are fine.

At first, I tried using ssfs to reach the gallery2 installation on the old
server for import to Gallery3 on the new server. But, Gallery3 could not
find the Gallery2 installation through sshfs. So, I did a Gallery3
installation on the old server and imported there.

On the old server, I was running CentOs 6.1 with PHP 5.3.3. Installing
Gallery3 on it, I found that I had to modify
/modules/gallery/config/session.php . The error is Parse error: syntax
error, unexpected '[' in ... gallery3/modules/gallery/config/session.php
on line 71

I changed the end of session.php to the following:
/** * Session server parameter, used by Redis driver. */
// $config['server'] = [
// 'host' => 'redis',
// 'port' => 6379,
// 'persistent' => false,
// ];

$config['server']['host'] = 'redis';
$config['server']['port'] = 6379;
$config['server']['persistent'] = false;

I did not have to make this change on the AlmaLinux system I am migrating
to. The server migration instructions at
http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:User_guide:Gallery3:Installing_and_upgrading.html#Moving_your_installation_to_a_different_server
are GREAT!

I think there is a typo in step 2 of copying over the database to the new
server. It currently says: scp gallery.sql user...@new.server.here.com:~/
I believe it should be: scp gallery3.sql user...@new.server.here.com:~/
since that's what we named the file in the previous step.

On the new server with Gallery3, I get this message on Edit Permissions:

Oh no! Your server needs a configuration change in order for you to hide
photos! Ask your server administrator to enable mod_rewrite and set
AllowOverride FileInfo Options to fix this.

I've seen comments that this should be in .htaccess or perhaps in the
httpd config. Are further details available? For example, can someone
supply specific text to add to gallery3/.htaccess ?

THANKS!

Harold

Regarding the Oh no! error message, this occurs if there are albums that
are restricted to certain users. Here are notes on the fix:

THANKS! That fixed it. I added the following to the section of vhosts.conf
for the host.

<Directory /home/kcpr/public_html/gallery3/>
AllowOverride FileInfo Options
</Directory>

J.R.

Jan 8, 2023, 11:37:14 PM1/8/23
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chuck,

1) Most hosting companies are now running PHP 7 or higher because of security vulnerabilities with older versions of PHP.
The only version of Gallery that runs on PHP 7 and above is version 3.1.3 and its latest revision version, 3.1.5 -- so you're not going to be able to continue to run older versions of Gallery any more. To answer your question:

Is the easiest way to migrate to do the following?
1) Ask my web hosting company to install  Gallery 3.1.5 (from https://galleryrevival.com/).
2) Create each album and upload photos for each album.
3) Keep my old gallery 2.3 live until I'm happy with the new gallery 3.1.5.

The answer to 1) and 2) is yes. The answer to 3) is no, you will not be able to continue to keep your old gallery live anymore. It simply will not run on PHP 7 and higher.

Since you will have to start from scratch and manually rebuild your old gallery using version 3.1.5 you may want to consider switching to a more recently developed gallery-type alternative like PIWIGO. While Gallery 3.1.5 works like any version of Gallery 3, any version of Gallery 3 is very different from the extremely old Gallery 2.3.

see: https://piwigo.org/

-- J.R.
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/105fb206-4397-4d86-9615-b52d2376593fn%40googlegroups.com.

chucks2

Jan 9, 2023, 1:25:20 PM1/9/23
to Gallery 3 Users
Harold,
Thanks for these notes. My server maintenance skills are limited, and if I take this route I may need help from the web hosting company.
Thanks again,
Chuck

chucks2

Jan 9, 2023, 1:50:03 PM1/9/23
to Gallery 3 Users
J.R.,
Thanks for your message. When I said "Keep my old gallery 2.3 live," I meant keep my old web hosting account active (not configure anything).
My new web host uses PHP 7.4.33. The old (current) web host uses PHP 5.6.40.

I will definitely look into PIWIGO. I would like an open source gallery that is currently maintained. I may send you more questions off the list.

With my old (current) web host, I have three web sites (two with WordPress) and each has a cPanel license. I also have a a WHM license. The new web host has one cPanel license so I'll have to manage two of my web sites as cPanel Add-on domains. That might be fine. I'm trying to figure out if there's affordable, dependable web hosting with multiple cPanel licenses, but I understand that this list isn't the place to ask web hosting questions.

Thanks,
Chuck

J.R.

Jan 9, 2023, 2:36:56 PM1/9/23
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chuck,

As Harold mentioned, doing a fresh, new installation of Gallery 3 is much easier than it was for Gallery 2... the installer script that comes with the download is pretty straight forward and most hosting companies standard standard hosting account will usually work just fine with it out of the box. With any luck you won't have to do any server configuration. If necessary many hosting companies will install it for you, sometimes for free, sometimes for a small fee. Just be sure to tell them to use the Gallery3 version 3.1.5 package available at galleryrevival.com -- sadly there are still plenty of places who think that the 10-year old obsolete version 3.0.9 of Gallery 3 is the current version, and that version will simply not run on PHP 7 or above.

-- J.R.

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.

J.R.

Jan 9, 2023, 2:46:47 PM1/9/23
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Chuck,

Gallery will run just fine as an add-on Domain. I do it all the time.

If you've not yet locked down you new hosting company, I personally have been using A2 hosting for over 10 years (I get no compensation from them). Their servers are top notch and their pricing more than reasonable. Most important, their person-to-person telephone tech support is outstanding so if you run into any problems they should be able to help you get things working.

https://www.a2hosting.com/

-- J.R.