No_index

Peter Krarup

Oct 22, 2020, 4:48:00 AM10/22/20
to Gallery 3 Users
Is there a way to implement a no_index or no_follow in the Gallery?
Thanks for giving it a new life.
Kind regards
Peter

Jon Schewe

Oct 22, 2020, 8:43:43 AM10/22/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Are you talking about for web crawlers? This is normally done with robots.txt at the root of your domain. Here is an example of mine. I have gallery installed at https://host/gallery

Disallow: /gallery

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/05bd6393-7917-47b1-9827-61b8f2731abcn%40googlegroups.com.

JR

Oct 22, 2020, 4:16:07 PM10/22/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

Sure, but why? That would just mean the gallery would not get as good placement in Search Engine results. We *want* people to find the gallery -- that was the whole point of creating it -- and keeping it registration/log-in free.

But as a matter of record, the sad truth is that search engine robots completely ignore the "no_index" and "no_follow" flags. I have proof:

A website of mine has had "no_index" and "no_follow" flags set on it since it very first day it went online in 1999. And yet, when you do a google search -- using only my site's name as the keyword -- you get all tons of results from deep inside the site. Take a look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=valsfa.com

-- J.R.

Peter KRARUP

Oct 23, 2020, 3:47:05 AM10/23/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to JR and Jon for fast answers.
As I have to hide a part of my Gallery in relation to the GPDR I do not want it to be found in a search.
Is there a way to protect the part with password in the Gallery or have I to use htacsess?
Thanks for giving the Gallery new life.
Have a nice weekend
Peter

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/29ff8f6b-c564-d2b9-19d6-f0c372b90228%40thepostalzone.com.

Jon Schewe

Oct 23, 2020, 10:16:38 AM10/23/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
You can set permissions on albums so that users need to login to see those albums. This is built into gallery.

JR

Oct 23, 2020, 6:35:51 PM10/23/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

Good question. I believe using some .htaccess coding would be the only sensible way to go (and you could easily modify the .htaccess later if you wanted to change the site's behavior at some point). I'm no expert at making .htaccess sit up and jump through hoops, but I know it can be done. Someone here may be able to offer some tips and if not I'm sure the web is full of tutorials on how to make .htaccess do just about anything. That one file ... actually a kind of robotic app just sitting there on the server actually scares a bait because of the massive potential it has to for good (or evil) -- so I always keep my own dead simple.

But I would be really interested in seeing the solution you come up with :)

-- J.R.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/CAP2fkeORhpyQSEdA3mCZMX1JG1EdxvvHTNLNH1TwTzjSRSB6gA%40mail.gmail.com.

JR

Oct 23, 2020, 6:44:56 PM10/23/20
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Jon and Peter,

Yes, but that means you have to open up your gallery installation to having people use/lose/abuse log-in privileges which I personally will not do, even if it was limited to one album. Hackers know how to compromise the log-in function itself to gain all kinds of server-level access. Gallery has been upgraded in many ways recently but as far as I know it still uses the same log-in security protocols that were available 10 years ago... that's a long time in internet years... I wouldn't be willing to trust the health and safety of my Gallery installations to those old protocol in these perilous days.

But maybe I'm being paranoid and PHP 7.4 takes care of all that?

-- J.R.