A project I've been working on to migrate off Gallery3.

Kazuo Kuroi

Nov 23, 2022, 12:41:06 PM11/23/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I've posted here before but not recently. I run https://siliconimage.irixnet.org which currently as of today runs Gallery3. I cleared this post sometime ago with Brad, so this is not an unsolicited ad but rather me sharing/offering a migration path.

I've been working with a dev I've known for a while on a new project that is kind of a hybrid of Gallery3 and a type of image board called a "booru". Our main difference from Boorus is the album structure of Gallery3 is retained, but we also have tagging systems and imagestreams that are used by Boorus.

The main difference is that we're targeting a legacy-free Laravel framework under an MIT license with eventual integration plans with mybb, as IRIXNetwork is first and foremost a retrocomputing forum.

Our main difference system-wise from Gallery3 is we're exclusively Postgres. It will be FOSS like Gallery3 and I'm going to share our migration tools as well. It'll take a lot of work to make it work for others, but I'll be offering help to anyone whose interested in migrating off. This is probably less of a "Gallery3" direct replacement and more of a spinoff/slide into a more public image submission system.

Be careful googling Boorus, BTW. Not all of the results that will come up will be SFW.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions or feedback.

J.R.

Nov 24, 2022, 12:40:09 AM11/24/22
to gallery...@googlegroups.com
Kazuo,

It sounds like an intriguing project and, of course, Gallery3 itself can be "spun off" by anyone -- but getting "permission" is a nice courtesy and it was thoughtful of you to run it by Brad. While I'm long out of the coding game I would caution about the understandable but dangerous tendency to want to "include too much" in the project. If you build in too many dependencies and cross-connections to other apps/services/systems a small change in any one of them can destabilize or even break your own project.

-- J.R
--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message, click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so your reply goes out to everyone in the group. If you click REPLY or REPLY TO SENDER Google will *only* send your reply to the original author (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
gallery...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gallery-3-users
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gallery 3 Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gallery-3-users/a0e08d3a-b22d-48f3-9f7e-4aa28d9746c3%40irixnet.org.